You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388875  

Print Page

© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 388875
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BARRY STREET (west side)
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 11 April 2001
Date listed: 08 March 1993
Date of last amendment: 08 March 1993
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OLDHAMSD90NWBARRY STREET780-1/1/14(West side)

OLDHAM SD90NW BARRY STREET 780-1/1/14 (West side) Church of St James II Parish church. 1835. By Francis Goodwin; chancel added 1883 by John Lowe of Manchester. Ashlar faced with Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave with integral aisles, and shallow canted apse. Partially projecting west tower with wide western entrance in deep moulded archway. 2-light window over doorway. Gabletted clasping buttresses. Parapet over second stage with integral surround for clock (the clock itself now removed) and high pinnacles at angles. Flying buttresses to octagonal lantern of bell chamber. Vestries added north and south of tower. South doorway giving access to inner staircase lobby. Aisles of 6 bays divided by buttresses, each with 2-light Decorated traceried window with cast-iron tracery. Shallow canted apsidal chancel with 2-light windows. INTERIOR: nave arcade of 4 bays formerly 5, the eastern bay now forming part of the chancel. Western bay beneath gallery now separated by glazed screen. Chamfered piers carry moulded arches with foliate capitals. Galleries on 3 sides, carried across west by two rows of cast-iron columns. Plain ribbed panelled ceiling, the principal timbers carried from corbels. Chancel screen and rood loft, 1920 as war memorial. Central ogee arch surmounted by crucifix, canopy enriched with vine-scroll decoration. Flanking wall panels with inscriptions beneath statues of Saints Michael and George. Apsidal chancel with plain panelled ceiling. Blind traceried wall panelling includes sedilia and canopy over reredos. Stained glass: east window, undated unsigned memorial window, probably circa 1880-90 in the style of Kempe. Small panels in south chancel chapel representing Saints George and Joan of Arc, with architectural drawings as backcloth. Various windows in south and north aisles, 1920's, one signed Shrigley and Hunt, Lancaster. Various marble wall tablets, including an ornate memorial with high relief figures in traceried niches to the Rev. Robert Gooday, d.1878. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.