© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BARRY STREET (west side)
OLDHAM, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
11 April 2001
08 March 1993
Date of last amendment:
08 March 1993
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SD90NW BARRY STREET
780-1/1/14 (West side)
Church of St James
Parish church. 1835. By Francis Goodwin; chancel added 1883 by
John Lowe of Manchester. Ashlar faced with Welsh slate roof.
West tower, nave with integral aisles, and shallow canted
apse. Partially projecting west tower with wide western
entrance in deep moulded archway. 2-light window over doorway.
Gabletted clasping buttresses. Parapet over second stage with
integral surround for clock (the clock itself now removed) and
high pinnacles at angles.
Flying buttresses to octagonal lantern of bell chamber.
Vestries added north and south of tower. South doorway giving
access to inner staircase lobby. Aisles of 6 bays divided by
buttresses, each with 2-light Decorated traceried window with
cast-iron tracery. Shallow canted apsidal chancel with 2-light
INTERIOR: nave arcade of 4 bays formerly 5, the eastern bay
now forming part of the chancel. Western bay beneath gallery
now separated by glazed screen. Chamfered piers carry moulded
arches with foliate capitals. Galleries on 3 sides, carried
across west by two rows of cast-iron columns. Plain ribbed
panelled ceiling, the principal timbers carried from corbels.
Chancel screen and rood loft, 1920 as war memorial. Central
ogee arch surmounted by crucifix, canopy enriched with
vine-scroll decoration. Flanking wall panels with inscriptions
beneath statues of Saints Michael and George.
Apsidal chancel with plain panelled ceiling. Blind traceried
wall panelling includes sedilia and canopy over reredos.
Stained glass: east window, undated unsigned memorial window,
probably circa 1880-90 in the style of Kempe. Small panels in
south chancel chapel representing Saints George and Joan of
Arc, with architectural drawings as backcloth. Various windows
in south and north aisles, 1920's, one signed Shrigley and
Various marble wall tablets, including an ornate memorial with
high relief figures in traceried niches to the Rev. Robert
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South
Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).