© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MARK WITH CHRISTCHURCH, GLODWICK ROAD (west side)
OLDHAM, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
18 March 2001
03 October 1986
Date of last amendment:
03 October 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SD90SW GLODWICK ROAD
780-1/3/33 (West side)
03/10/86 Church of St Mark with Christchurch
Parish church. 1876. By John Wild. Rusticated coursed and
squared rubble, cut in small blocks with Welsh slate roof with
SE tower and spire, nave with clerestory and two lean-to
2-stage tower with clasping buttresses. Shouldered arched east
doorway with stiff leaf capitals and triple windows to south
in lower stage. Lancet above, and paired bell chamber lights
with shafts to architrave. Corbel table to parapet above, with
central gablet housing clock in each face, cutting into base
of brooch spire with lucarnes.
2 gables to eastern chapels of south aisle, each with 2-light
Aisle of 4 bays, divided by buttresses, each with a 2-light
Decorated window, and gabled porch towards west, with stepped
chamfered arch. Clerestory with triple foiled lights housed in
recessed panels. 5-light west window. Lower chancel with
foiled lancets south and 5-light East window. Gabled vestry to
north. Wrought iron cross finials on all gables.
INTERIOR has nave arcade on polished granite columns, original
roofs and fittings, including screen, reredos, stalls, benches
and pulpit. Paintings of saints either side of east window.
Stone plinth wall to east and south of church, with cast-iron
railings and wrought-iron gates.
Gate piers with stepped pyramidal heads at angle with Waterloo