You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 38939  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 38939
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES', FORBURY ROAD (south side)
  READING, READING, BERKSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 April 2001
Date listed: 22 March 1957
Date of last amendment: 22 March 1957
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FORBURY ROAD5128(South side)Church ofSt James'

FORBURY ROAD 1. 5128 (South side) Church of St James' SU 7173 NE 1/2 SU 7273 7/2 22.3.57. II GV 2. Roman Catholic 1837-40 by A W N Pugin. Untypical Norman style. Much altered 1925 by W C Mangan (south aisle and apse ambulatory), and 1962 by Bingham Towner (north aisle). Flint with ashlar dressings. Roman tile roof. Coped gables with footstones. Belfry to west. Round headed clerestory with continuous impost string. 5 bays. Dividing and corner buttresses. West front has oculus at top, large round headed window with flanking blind arcade. Projecting porch with centre break and angled corners, round headed doorway with 2 orders, of chevron. 3 apses to east, centre with ambulatory. 3 bay south aisle with 6 bay double arcade inside. North-east pier has fragment of beaded C12 carving. Interior: wooden roof, vaulted apse. C12 interlacing on re-used stone from Abbey is now the font. Pugin's first church design. The Norman style probably dictated by proximity of Abbey remains.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.