You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 39019  

Print Page

© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 39019
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 09 June 2006
Date listed: 19 March 1975
Date of last amendment: 19 March 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LONDON ROAD5128(South Side)Main block andflanking wings at

LONDON ROAD 1. 5128 (South Side) Main block and flanking wings at Royal Berkshire Hospital SU 7272 9/161 19.3.75. II* GV 2. Main block 1839 by local architect and builder Henry Briant (who won the competition for designing the hospital). As King William IV took such a keen interest in the hospital before it was built, his Arms, not Queen Victoria's appear on the central pediment. 2 storeys and basement. Bath stone - very large ashlar blocks used to front. Slate roofs. 11 bays with 7 bay central break projecting pedimented hexastyle Ionic portico. Glazing bar sash windows. Corner piers. Channelled basement. Astragal to moulded cornice (dentil cornice to portico) and parapet. Recessed side entrance bays. Wide steps to portico with excellent contemporary lamp tripods with guilloche ornament. Interior: colonaded stair hall, cast iron balusters to stairs which divide at landing. 1882 chapel with contemporary fittings reached from under landing. (By Joseph Morris who made considerable extensions to the Hospital at that date). The main block has flanking wings added 1865 to designs by Joseph Morris. 3 storeys also Bath stone and long side wings forming a large courtyard added 1881-2. The latter are also of Bath stone, have 5x5 end pavilions with 3 bay pedimented breaks and are linked to side wings by a Greek Doric colonade (east side) and a 1911 block (west side). In front to street is a dwarf-stone tall with moulded coping and 5 retraining ashlar gate piers with block modillions to moulded capping.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.