© Mr Robert W Keniston
TORBAY HOSPITAL CHAPEL, NEWTON ROAD (north side)
TORQUAY, TORBAY, DEVON
Mr Robert W Keniston
17 July 2005
03 May 1994
Date of last amendment:
03 May 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SX8965 NEWTON ROAD
885-1/9/193 (North side)
Torbay Hospital Chapel
Hospital chapel. Opened 1930, rainwater heads dated 1928. To
the designs of Charles Holden. Freestone ashlar with
exceptionally fine joints, original scantle slate roof. Late
C17 style, of a puritan character.
PLAN: Attached to the neo-Georgian 1928 main blocks of the
hospital with a lobby bay. The chapel consists of 4-bay nave
and chancel with a projecting south-east porch and south-west
organ chamber. East end has rounded corners. Classical style.
EXTERIOR: Severe and nicely-detailed. Stepped plinth.
Pedimented gable to west end. East end has recessed rounded
corners and a plain parapet. Flat-roofed porch has a moulded
doorway with a keyblock and rounded recessed corners; similar
corners to organ chamber. Sides have shallow banding and
centres are slightly recessed. Round-headed windows to nave
glazed with leaded panes of thick opaque glass. Low lobby at
west end has a segmental-headed doorway on the south side and
an original 2-leaf segmental-headed 2-leaf door in a late C17
style with 2 big fielded panels to each leaf.
INTERIOR: Coved roof of exposed timbers to the nave; full set
of original oak fittings including altar, reredos; pulpit with
carved heads; benches; panelled dado. Round-headed east window
filled with stained glass, the style rather old-fashioned for
the date, depicting biblical scenes of healing.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: