You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 391242  

Print Page



© Mr R.M Rayner

IoE Number: 391242
Location: RAILWAY STATION, THE ESPLANADE (south side)
  MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr R.M Rayner
Date Photographed: 08 October 1999
Date listed: 07 September 1993
Date of last amendment: 07 September 1993
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MINEHEADSS9646THE ESPLANADE900-1/3/84(South side)

MINEHEAD SS9646 THE ESPLANADE 900-1/3/84 (South side) 07/09/93 Railway Station II Railway station. 1872, extended c1897. Red sandstone rubble with freestone dressings; continuous crested plain tile roof; 4 ridge stacks off-set below diagonal shafts, truncated except one to inside left. Rectangular plan. Italianate Romanesque style. EXTERIOR: Single storey; 8-window range. Continuous chamfered plinth. Semicircular arched openings with chamfered long/short dressings and keystones. The first stage, to the right, was symmetrical 4-window range; an almost full-height gabled porch with 5 open trusses and tie bars, corbelled out over double doors with a semicircular overlight is flanked by paired and single windows. The windows are paired, separated by round columns with cushion caps, with plate-glass sashes. 2 full-height openings to the c1897 block to the left have segmental arches. The booking office to the far left is of tongued-and-grooved wood on a higher rubblestone plinth, articulated by panelled pilasters with moulded capitals. The platform canopies and the booking office have fretted wood fronts. INTERIOR: noted as having original joinery and fireplaces. HISTORY: The arrival of the railway to Minehead was the most significant factor in its development as a resort. On 27 May 1872 the Minehead Railway Company accepted a tender for building Minehead Station for »1,118.17s.6d from John Pearce. In October 1882 the GWR converted the entire line from Taunton to Minehead to narrow gauge in one weekend. On 1 July 1897 the Minehead Railway amalgamated with the GWR. (Clinker CR: The West Somerset Railway: The Exmoor Press: 1980-1986: 7).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.