You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 391269  

Print Page



© Mr R.M Rayner

IoE Number: 391269
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, WELLINGTON SQUARE (south side)
  MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr R.M Rayner
Date Photographed: 05 October 1999
Date listed: 28 October 1976
Date of last amendment: 28 October 1976
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MINEHEADSS9646WELLINGTON SQUARE900-1/3/112(South side)

MINEHEAD SS9646 WELLINGTON SQUARE 900-1/3/112 (South side) 28/10/76 Church of St Andrew GV II* Church. 1877-1880, by GE Street. Red sandstone with freestone dressings and concrete tile roof. Aisled plan with chancel, north porch and vestry. Free Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Diagonal offset buttresses to corners of the nave. The east gable end has 5-light window with reticulated tracery. The north side has a 2-light window to the left of a 3-storey projecting gabled vestry with a stack to the left and a bellcote with 2 trefoil-headed openings, corbelled out above the north aisle which has 3 Decorated-style 2-light windows with small clerestory lancet windows above. A projecting gabled porch to the right has a pointed arch with finial over planked doors with decorative strap hinges. The west end has a rose window to the apex over 2 tall 2-light Decorated-style windows flanking a central buttress. Similar south aisle. INTERIOR: the 3-bay nave has octagonal piers without capitals, the arches dying into them; the intrados is smooth, the back and front is corbelled out. Hammer-beam roof to the nave, curved braces to the chancel, and exposed rafters to the aisles. Polychromatic floor tiles, those to the chancel are elaborate. The fine 1889 medieval-style stained glass east window, dedicated to Henry Luttrell, is by Kempe. FITTINGS: the wrought-iron and brass lectern, in Art Nouveau style, is dated 1903; the communion rail has fine wrought-iron supports; Gothic stone pulpit and font; original pine pews with shaped ends. HISTORY: the church was erected and endowed at the cost of Charlotte Ann, wife of the Rev AH Fownes Luttrell (vicar 1832-99) to whom the east window of 1888 is a memorial. The tower, planned to stand at the south-west (ritual east) end was not built. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 241).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.