You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 39169  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 39169
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES AND CHURCHYARD TOMBS, SOUTHAMPTON STREET (east side)
  READING, READING, BERKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 02 June 2006
Date listed: 22 March 1957
Date of last amendment: 22 March 1957
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1. SOUTHAMPTON STREET5128 (East Side)Church of St Gilesand Churchyard Tombs

1. SOUTHAMPTON STREET 5128 (East Side) Church of St Giles and Churchyard Tombs SU 7172 NE 4/244-244A 22.3.57. II GV 2. Church of England. The small mediaeval church was rebuilt 1872 by J P St Aubyn in Early English style retaining only the C13 aisle walls and Perpendicular west tower. Ashlar steeple 1873. Flint faced with stine dressings. Tiled roof. 3 bay aisled nave and slight transept. Y tracery lancet windows except i. plate tracery twin 2-light lancets in belfry. ii. 3 light Perpendicular west window. iii. Good decorated-type trancept windows. iv. Geometric east window. Tower joins at skew and has corner and side buttresses. Pointed west door. Traces of mediaeval walling on south and west sides. 3 bay chancel with flanking chapels. Interior: rich Early English-style chancel. Norman fragments in tower (a capital possibly from the Abbey). Early C16 brass to John and Jane Bowyer. A number of good C18 memorial tablets and a good sculpted memorial to Harwood Awberry (date 1748) by Peter Scheemakers. The graveyard retains much of its C19 astmosphere and contains a number of good tombs. To south-west - 3 chest tombs, the nearest to the church corner is best: early C19 to Thomas Patrick Sourdon, tapering sides, cross gabled capping with corner antefixae. The 2 others are circa 1840 with fluted corners. To north-west and east - another good group of both table and pyramidal-capped tombs. The dest is to William Granger circa 1840 - simialar to the Sourdon tomb (see above) with incised corner piers. Also notable (1) William Green and Woodard family vault - a late C18 chest tomb. Circa 1811, Portland stone, moulded plinth, oval panels to front and back. A number of tombs at the east end face true east (ie aligned slightly differently from the chancel).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.