© Mr Roger Ashley
ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH, CHURCH STREET (south side)
GREAT GRANSDEN, HUNTINGDONSHIRE, CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Mr Roger Ashley
12 March 2007
14 May 1959
Date of last amendment:
14 May 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TL 2656 TL2755 GREAT GRANSDEN CHURCH STREET
14/33 15/33 St. Bartholomew's
Parish church rebuilt in second half of C15 with the exception
of the late C14 west tower, repaired in 1676, dated lead plaque
on tower. Church restored in 1873, architect G. Vialls, ARIBA,
when north porch was rebuilt and organ chamber and vestry
added. Walls of pebble and ironstone rubble with freestone and
clunch dressings. Roofs covered with lead. North elevation.
Tower of four stages with angle buttresses, moulded plinth and
embattled parapet. C15 west doorway, loop-light at third stage
and pair of two-light belfry windows with quatrefoil in four-
centred arch. Small lead covered spirelet. Embattled
clerestorey with four restored windows with three, trefoiled
lights. Turret to rood loft stair carried up above parapet to
north-east. North aisle has three, partly restored windows each
of three, cinquefoiled lights and diagonal buttresses. North
porch has a two-centred outer arch within a square with
traceried spandrils. Vestry and organ chamber built in angle of
north aisle and chancel. Chancel north window of three lights,
east window partly restored of five, cinquefoil lights.
Interior. Chancel arch, two-centred, of two moulded orders, the
inner order springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals
and bases. Nave arcades of four bays have arches and piers of
similar details to chancel arch with C19 labels on nave side.
Rood-loft staircase has a lower doorway with chamfered jambs and
an upper doorway with splayed jambs with four-centred heads.
Tower arch, two-centred with two moulded orders, altered in
C15. Roofs of chancel, nave and aisles C15, with some C17
repairs. Nave and south aisle tie beams bear inscriptions of
church wardens, one dated 1675. Flat pitched with moulded main
timbers, cambered tie beams with curved braces forming
four-centred arches. Carved stops and bosses at intersections,
with carved figures in nave and aisles. Wall posts in chancel
stand on octagonal stone corbels terminating in rosettes.
Screen. C15. Seating, late C15 or early C16, with panelled
bench ends, moulded rails, backs of five seats and five front
desks carved with spandrils of foliage, fishes, birds, animals
and grotesque faces. Pulpit C17 on modern stand. Fragments of
C15 and C16 glass in south window of chancel. Very fine piscina
with ogee arch and crocketed label. Front C15, plain octagonal
bowl on modern base. Brass indent to Thomas de Neusum 1301-1328
and wall mounument to Barnabas Oley, Vicar, d.1685. Tomb of
Sarah, wife of Simon Mason, 1664. Church clock, c.1480, chimes
RCHM (Hunts) mon. (1), p120.
VCH (Hunts) p299.
History of Great Gransden. 1892. pp 71, 72, 98, 203, 231 & 234.
Norris Museum, St. Ives. Inskip Ladds Collection.
CRO Huntingdon. P.G.M. Dickenson. Historical Notes.