You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 396423  

Print Page

© Ms Frances Ottaway

IoE Number: 396423
Photographer: Ms Frances Ottaway
Date Photographed: 10 August 2007
Date listed: 26 March 1954
Date of last amendment: 26 March 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

4412SHOOTERS HILL SE18(South Side)Severndroog CastleCastle Wood Park

1. 4412 SHOOTERS HILL SE18 (South Side) Severndroog Castle Castle Wood Park TQ 4376 42/W14 26.3.54. II* 2. 1784. 3-storey triangular tower with hexagonal angle turrets of ½-storey height. Tower and turrets battlemented. Multicoloured stock brick with 1st floor band and plinth. Quatrefoil blocked and painted windows in turrets. Other windows have 2-centred, pointed arches, wide on the main faces and narrow in the 3 external faces of each turret. Moulded labels over windows, some of which are blocked and treated in trompe l'oeil fashion as in turret tops. 1st floor windows in wide, stuccoed recesses. Small door with alternating block surround in inner return of North-east turret. Later doors inserted in North-West and South turrets. Main, studded double door, in South-West face, has moulded surround in deep coving, with label over. Cornice head and fanlight with interlacing bars matching the window heads. On the other 2 sides the former entrances blocked, fanlights only remaining. Inscription in stone apron below 1st floor window on South-West face "This building was erected MDCCLXXXIV by the representative of the late Sir William James, Bart. To Commemorate that Gallant Officer's Atchievements (sic) in the East Indies during his command of the Company's Marine Forces in those seas. And in a particular manner to record the Conquest off the Coast of Malabar which fell to his superior Valour and able Conduct on the 2nd day of April MDCCLV."

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.