© Mr Ken Venton-Prentice LRPS
ST MARY'S CHURCH,
SOUTH PERROTT, WEST DORSET, DORSET
Mr Ken Venton-Prentice LRPS
05 September 1999
22 December 1983
Date of last amendment:
22 December 1983
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SOUTH PERROTT SOUTH PERROTT VILLAGE
2/269 St Mary's Church
Parish Church. C13, with C15 crossing-tower, chancel and south chapel of
1907-13. Nave, west porch, north and south transepts, chancel, south
chapel. Rubble-stone and ashlar walls, with stone dressings. Lead roofs.
Nave: single window in each wall: 3-light trefoil-cusped with panel
tracery above, in a 2-centred head, C15 inserted. Diagonal buttresses,
C15. West porch, C13, largely rebuilt in C15, (diagonal buttresses).
Outer arch has a thin double roll-moulding, and a keeled label, returned.
Remains of Holy Water stoup. North and south transepts, C13, with added
diagonal buttresses in C15. Similar windows have cinquefoiled lights.
Central Tower: 3 stages, C13 crossing-arches, upper part C15 with a plain
parapet and gargoyles. Second stage has a square-headed window in each
face, all blocked except on north. Bell-chamber, windows of 2 trefoiled
lights with plain vertical tracery in a square head, with a label. Chancel,
rebuilt 1907-13, with trefoil-cusped heads and panel tracery over. Small
quatrefoils in the head. 2-light north window. South chapel, rebuilt
at same time, on site of a C16 chapel. Interior: crossing has single
respond shafts with plainly moulded bases and capitals. South transept
has a piscina with ogee-trefoil head. Roll-mould over. Chamfered sides
and capitals. Roof of north transept, C15 moulded plates, ridge-beam and
joists. Arched braces from C15 head-corbels. Nave roof is renewed.
Fittings: Porch, west door with heavy strap-hinges, C17. Font: stone,
octagonal bowl with short cylindrical stem and moulded base, C13. Pulpit:
wood, octagonal, on an open-legged base. Carved Signs of the Evangelists,
C20. Monuments: Nave, black and white marble wall tablet, showing form
of a table-tomb, to Susannah, widow of Samuel Kitson, 1832. By Reynolds,
Yeovil (bottom right). South transept: stone wall-tablet, to Thomas
Foster and Ann, died respectively 1778, 1783.
Source: RCHM Dorset I, p176 (1).