You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 39689  

Print Page

© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 39689
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 27 March 2002
Date listed: 10 November 1983
Date of last amendment: 10 November 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOOLHAMPTONUPPER WOOLHAMPTONSU 56 NE3/14Gatehouse And FlankingBlocks At Douai School

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/14 Gatehouse And Flanking Blocks At Douai School GV II Gatehouse and flanking school buildings. 1893-5 by F A Walters in a neo-Gothic style. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, corbel table and coped battle- mented parapet; roof not visible. Free Perpendicular style. Gatehouse tower: 3 storeys. First and second floor windows with 2 cusped lights, those on second floor arched with hoodmoulds, flanking 2 canopied niches with figures. Central moulded 4-centered archway with hoodmould, and carved coats of arms to each side above. 2 short brick walls projecting to each side with stone coping, square piers, and finials with carved coats of arms topped by lamps. Left-hand block: red brick with stone dressings and brick cill course; tiled roof with central ridge stack and parapetted gabled semi-dormer to left with casement. 2 1/2 storeys. Three 2-light windows on each floor; first floor 2-light 4-centered arched window to left with transom and Y-tracery. Right-hand block: red brick with cill courses; tiled roof, and 2 gables with planted timbers and casements. 2 storeys and attic. 2 canted bays rising to first floor with coped parapets, and mullioned and transomed windows. These buildings were built originally for St. Mary's College. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.