You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 39693  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 39693
Location: RANGE APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES TO NORTH OF GATEHOUSE AT DOUAI SCHOOL,
  WOOLHAMPTON, WEST BERKSHIRE, BERKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 27 March 2002
Date listed: 10 November 1983
Date of last amendment: 10 November 1983
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOOLHAMPTONUPPER WOOLHAMPTONSU 56 NE3/11Range Approximately 50Metres To North OfGatehouse At Douai

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/11 Range Approximately 50 Metres To North Of Gatehouse At Douai School GV II School cloister. 1884 and 1888 by F.A. Walters in a Free Tudor-Gothic style; top storey of circa 1910 on wing to left. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, string courses at cill levels. Tiled roof with central ridge stack, gabled dormer to left with casements; belfry to right with 2 string courses, battlemented parapet, clock to east with hoodmould and louvred arch to north with hoodmould. T-plan. East front: 2 storeys and attic; 12 bays, leaded windows with 2 arched lights in square heads and returned hoodmoulds. Doorway in third bay from left with 4-centred arch and returned hoodmould with carved stops; doorway in sixth bay from left with moulded 4-centred arch in square head with carved spandrels, returned hoodmould with carved stops extending over flanking one-light windows. Left-hand wing: red brick with stone dress- ings, plinth, string courses, coped parapet with stone corbelling and tiled roof with 4 stacks. 3 storeys. Left-hand return wall: 3 bays, first floor cross windows, second floor arched 2-light windows with square heads and returned hoodmoulds. Doorway to left with 4-centred arch and returned hoodmould. Ori- ginally built for St. Mary's College. BOE, Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.