You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 39694  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 39694
Location: DOUAI ABBEY CHURCH,
  WOOLHAMPTON, WEST BERKSHIRE, BERKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 27 March 2002
Date listed: 10 November 1983
Date of last amendment: 10 November 1983
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOOLHAMPTONUPPER WOOLHAMPTONSU 56 NE3/10Douai Abbey ChurchGVII*

WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON SU 56 NE 3/10 Douai Abbey Church GV II* Church. 1928-33, by J Arnold Crush. Red brick with stone dressings, string course carried up over windows as hoodmould, plinths and parapets of chequered flint and stone; tiled choir roof, others not visible. Free Curvilinear Gothic style. Choir, aisles, north aisle chapel and Lady chapel with polygonal apse. Choir: 2 bays, that to east short. 4-light aisle windows, those to east 2-lights; 2-light clerestory windows, those to east of one light; clerestory to east with central 3-light window flanked by cusped lancets. Low chapel projecting from western bay to north with two 2-light windows. Newel turret to north-east of choir with parapet and lancet openings. Temporary west end with 3 lancets and circular window above lean-to proch. Lady chapel: 3 bays, 3-light windows; east window of 4 lights. Interior: ashlar faced and stone vaulted throughout. Choir arcades with moulded bases and capitals, and moulded arches. The church remains unfinished. J. Arnold Crush was a pupil of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Douai is a Benedictine Abbey. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.