You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 399748  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 399748
Location: ST NICHOLAS' CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD (east side)
  KELSTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 25 May 2000
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 NEKELSTONCHURCH ROAD (east side)3/88St. Nicholas' Church1.2.56II

ST 66 NE KELSTON CHURCH ROAD (east side) 3/88 St. Nicholas' Church 1.2.56 II G.V. Anglican parish church. C13 and C14; heavily restored and rebuilt 1860 by B. Ferrey. West tower, nave, north porch, south aisle, chancel and vestry. Rubble with freestone dressings; snecked and squared rubble to nave and chancel; slate roofs with coped raised verges. West tower is probably C13 with a saddleback roof behind a plain parapet; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses; moulded stringcourse with gargoyles; on the ground floor is a 2-light cusped lancet window with a cusped hexagonal light above; single and 2-light windows to bell stage. North porch is gabled with angle buttresses; double hollow chamfered outer doorway (restored) under a hoodmould with square stops. Nave: 3-light C19 Perpendicular style windows. Chancel: C19 windows, lancets to the sides and 3-light Geometrical style east window. South aisle has three 2-light windows with cusped heads. The north door is studded with strap hinges in a chamfered and depressed ogee-headed surround. Interior: 1860's 3 bay south arcade in an early Gothic style; C13 tower arch is double chamfered. Font, probably C18, ashlar, octagonal bowl with a band of quatrefoils, gadrooned base. The pulpit, roof and other fittings are all 1860's and later. Glass: north- east nave window has C14 borderwork and other fragments, foreign, with an oval medallion, an angel on a blue background and the upper part of St. John the Evangelist; south-west chancel window has a C14 French figure of St. Barbara holding a tower; north-west chancel window has a C15 Low Countries' panel of St. Anthony holding a staff and with a pig; tower, John the Baptist baptising Christ with a tower in the background. Monuments. In the chancel is a substantial fragment of a Saxon cross with interlace on two sides. Tower: inscribed oval plaque to Marie Smith, 1678, in elaborate surround with drapery; Griffin Smith, 1681, square plaque and further oval plaque of 1693. South aisle: Sir Caesar Hawkins, died 1800, inscribed marble plaque with urn finial; other inscribed square plaques of late C18 - early C19 to Hawkins and Inigo-Jones families. Nave: Hudleston hatchment; Royal Arms, 1860; various Hudleston monuments, mostly square inscribed plaques, particularly John died 1749, Lawson died 1743, Charlotte died 1821 and William died 1766 with a triglyph frieze; Lady Diones Harington, died 1674, and John Harington died 1674, both baroque plaques with arms. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1946).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.