You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 399989  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 399989
Location: KELSTON PARK AND ADJOINING SERVICE WING AND COACH HOUSE AND SOUTH RETAINING WALL,
  KELSTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 16 October 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 76 NWKELSTONKELSTON PARK4/108Kelston Park and adjoining ServiceWing and Coach-house and South1.2.56Retaining Wall

ST 76 NW KELSTON KELSTON PARK 4/108 Kelston Park and adjoining Service Wing and Coach-house and South 1.2.56 Retaining Wall G.V. II* Country house. Circa 1760's by John Wood, the Younger, of Bath for Sir Caesar Hawkins, physician to the King. Ashlar with a hipped slate roof (now tarred) behind a parapet and moulded cornice; ashlar stacks with cornice. 2 storeys, basement and attics. 2:1:2 bays: the centre projects slightly and is surmounted by a pediment. Glazing bar sash windows in moulded architraves, with cornice and cill on brackets on ground floor; the central first floor window is tripartite and has a central swan-neck pediment. Central projecting porch of paired Tuscan columns with alternate blocking stones, plain frieze, cornice and balustraded parapet; central panelled door in round-headed opening. To the right is a 3 storey, single bay section which links the house to the service wing and coach-house. The north elevation of the service wing and coach-house consists of two 2 storey and 4 bay blocks of ashlar with hipped slate roofs set back behind a parapet and cornice; glazing bar sash windows, some blocked to the left. The blocks are linked by single storey wings and a central archway with imposts and keystones, surmounted by a broken pediment. The west elevation of the coach-house has 2:3:2 bays; the centre 3 bays are advanced and are surmounted by a pediment which has a circular window in the tympanum; glazing bar sash windows on first floor; 3 round-headed coach entries to the centre and 2-light round-headed casement window and a panelled door under an overlight to the sides. The east elevation of the coach-house is similar but it has a central panelled door flanked by round-headed 2-light casements. The south elevation of the house has 5 bays: glazing bar sash windows in architraves with frieze and cornice on ground floor and later blind boxes. The ground floor is reached from a terrace which has a rusticated retaining pierced by 4 arches; central flight of steps and balustraded parapets with panelled piers. Set back 2 storey linking block (with a Venetian window on the ground floor) at left adjoins the south elevations of service wing and coach-house. These elevations consist of outer blocks with 4 glazing bar sash windows and central block, slightly recessed, but with an advanced centre to the first floor which has a Venetian window under a pediment. Interior. Most of the original plasterwork, fireplaces and doors survive. Entrance Hall: 2 Ionic columns at top of stairs; enriched dentilled cornice; raised and fielded panel doors in lugged architraves with open pediments; cantilever dog-leg stair with enriched cast-iron balustrade. Lounge (drawing room) to south: panelled plaster ceiling with a circular centre and a modillioned cornice; walls with moulded dado and wall panels and pier glasses; enriched carved fireplace with Corinthian columns and an overmantel with a landscape scene; through an archway with paired Ionic columns and enriched swags is an inner room with a dentilled cornice and a second fireplace with overmantel. Library or office to north-east: panelled ceiling with an octagonal centre and a modillioned cornice, much guilloche moulding; marble fireplace and carved surround. The four main bedrooms on the first floor each retain moulded cornices and enriched fireplaces, two with overmantels (one bearing a portrait).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.