You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 403487  

Print Page

© Mr Colin Cundy

IoE Number: 403487
Photographer: Mr Colin Cundy
Date Photographed: 03 September 1999
Date listed: 14 June 1951
Date of last amendment: 14 June 1951
Grade C

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

5106THE VILLAGEKingswinfordChurch of St MarySO 88 NE 7/18414.6.51.

726/7/184 KINGSWINFORD 14-JUN-51 CHURCH OF ST MARY GV II Parish Church. Entirely rebuilt 1830s-40s with the exception of the Decorated tower which is restored. Rubble stone brought to course and ashlar. The western tower has 2-light belfry openings with trefoil heads and a quatrefoil to the apex. The ashlar setback buttresses, battlemented parapet and porch to the south face appear to be C19 additions. The body of the church was rebuilt in the 1830s-40s due to subsidence caused by mining and re-opened in 1846. This new body is of coursed rubble with round-headed and pointed arches to the windows. The reset Norman tympanum shows a winged St. George stabbing an elaborately coiled dragon. The church of St Mary froms a group with the churchyard cross and nos. 8-11 [consec.] The Village.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.