You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 403991  

Print Page



© Mrs Moira Gallagher

IoE Number: 403991
Location: ALL SAINTS CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD
  HAWSTEAD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mrs Moira Gallagher
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 27 January 1984
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 85 NEHAWSTEADCHURCH ROAD5/49All Saints Church(Formerly listed as Church14.7.55of All Saints)

TL 85 NE HAWSTEAD CHURCH ROAD 5/49 All Saints Church (Formerly listed as Church 14.7.55 of All Saints) I Church; mediaeval, restored 1857. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; leaded parapet roofs to tower and porch. The north and south nave doorways C12, with chevron- and roll-moulded round arch, moulded imposts, engaged shafts with cushion capitals and moulded bases. The chancel has mid C13 work: lancets (now blocked) in side walls, south doorway, chancel arch with polygonal jambs and moulded capital and base, a double piscina now hidden behind the tomb of Elizabeth Drury. Another C13 piscina in the nave to left of chancel arch. In the chancel a fine C14 canoped recess with flanking pilasters; within it is the effigy of a C13 knight, said to be of the Fitz Eustace family. 3 2-light windows inserted into chancel mid-C14. Vestry probably added C15; flint rubble and freestone walls much repaired in red brick; cambered tie-beam roof. The tower, nave and south porch all built early C16. Tower in 3 stages, on a freestone plinth with frieze of flushwork traceried panels. Moulded west doorway with large 3-light window above; between them a frieze bearing the arms of the Drury family. Polygonal full-height stair turret, 2-light belfry openings, crenellated parapets with flushwork panels. 3-light side windows to nave, all having dropped-cill seats. Fine 9-bay nave roof, probably not finished before 1550, heavily restored 1857; principal rafters with arch- braced high collars and king-posts, alternate trusses having arch-braced hammerbeams carved as angels, with traceried spandrels; the intermediate trusses arch-braced directly to the wall-pieces on stone corbels. Deep moulded and traceried cornice, 2 purlins and ridge; many members have folded-leaf carving. The porch of squared flint and limestone rubble, with pilastered doorway, 2-light windows and parapet gables. The east window renewed early C16; large, of 5 lights. Barrel roof in the chancel, plastered, with ribbed and bossed richly decorated panels. Beside the tower arch a C13 wall-painting of a female figure; originally on the south chancel wall behind the Elizabeth Drury tomb, moved c.1980. Font with plain square bowl, probably C12; formerly with a square base, replaced with turned shafts c.1857. C15 rood screen with 2 sidelights on each side, and tracery at upper level; the santus bell still sits upon the top rail. Octagonal oak pulpit very restored, using some early C16 panels. Restored early C16 poppyhead stalls with traceried fronts. 4 simple C16 poppyhead elm pews. C19 poppyhead nave pews; 4 have reused C16 animal-heads. A C17 family pew, oak-panelled with marquetry. Late C17 altar rails and gates now placed across the tower-arch. In a north nave window some stained glass of C15 and C16; heraldry, saints and evangelists in roundels. The east window and others have good C19 stained glass commemorating the Cullum family. Fine wall monuments and tablets in the chancel, including to:- Sir Robert Drury, d.1624, by Nicholas Stone; Elizabeth Drury, d. 1610; Sir Thomas Cullum, d.1664, by D. Nacinto (outsize, in painted plaster); Sir Dudley Cullum, d.1720; Dame Anna Cullum, d.1735. In the nave the altar tomb of Sir William Drury, d.1557. A group of 6 good marble wall tablets in the nave, to the Metcalfe family, one to Mary Buckley, Viscountess Carleton. 3 C16 brasses in chancel floor. Several black marble floor slabs of late C17 to early C19 in nave and chancel, mainly to the Cullum family. Large C19 organ with Gothick ornament.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.