You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 404343  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 404343
Location: NEWHALL COTTAGE, BURY ROAD
  BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 03 February 2007
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 27 January 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 85 NESTANNINGFIELDBURY ROAD, LAWSHALL5/80Newhall Cottage(Formerly listed as Newhall14.7.55Farmhouse)

TL 85 NE STANNINGFIELD BURY ROAD, LAWSHALL 5/80 Newhall Cottage (Formerly listed as Newhall 14.7.55 Farmhouse) II House, formerly farmhouse, c.1600. 2 storeys; 2 surviving cells of a 3-cell lobby-entrance house. Timber-framed and rendered. Plaintiled roof with axial and gable chimneys of red brick; the axial chimney early C17, with twin flattened hexagon flues on a square base. Small-pane C19 casesments. C20 glazed panelled entrance door. Parlour to left, hall to right with back-to- back open fireplaces. Evidence for unglazed diamond-mullioned windows in most rooms. T.G. 1769 on plaque above entrance; a c.1970 copy of the original, which was within an oval surrounded by decoration in high relief. Thomas Gage of Rookwood Hall was landlord in 1769. A fire in 1930 destroyed the right-hand service cell of the house. Photograph of c.1960 front elevation in N.M.R. library.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.