© Mr John M Holt ARPS
COBBS ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY WARRENS HALL PARK, WINDMILL END
WEST BROMWICH, SANDWELL, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr John M Holt ARPS
17 October 1999
02 August 1972
Date of last amendment:
02 August 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SANDWELL MB WINDMILL END
SO 98 NE
8/169 Cobbs Engine House
and chimney (formerly
2.8.72 listed under Warley CB)
Warrens Hall Park
Mine pumping engine house, now disused. Circa 1831. Erected by Sir Horace
St Paul, later owned by Staffordshire Mines Drainage Commission. Brick. Now
roofless. Originally of three storeys, with a cylinder floor at ground level,
chamber floor above, and a bob or beam loft. The south gable wall is thicker
than the others and has a plug rod portal on the ground floor, with a flat head,
and a bob portal under the apex with round arch. The east and west walls both
have a ground floor window with segmental head. The north gable wall has a
cylinder portal on the ground floor, an opening to the middle storey with round
head, and two smaller openings above. The boiler chimney tapers from 11' 6"
square at the base to 4 feet at the top and is 95 feet high. Originally contained
a single-acting condensing engine. A winding engine of Newcomen type was removed
from the site in 1928 and transferred to the Henry Ford Museum, Michegan, USA.
The engine house is the earliest surviving example of its type and one of the
few engine houses left in the Black Country. Scheduled Ancient Monument.