You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 404523  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Miller

IoE Number: 404523
Location: CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, COOMBE STREET (north east side)
  LYME REGIS, WEST DORSET, DORSET
Photographer: Mr Duncan Miller
Date Photographed: 16 April 2003
Date listed: 31 January 1974
Date of last amendment: 31 January 1974
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

COOMBE STREET1357(North East Side)23.4.52.Congregational Church(Formerly listed as Congregational

COOMBE STREET 1. 1357 (North East Side) 23.4.52. Congregational Church (Formerly listed as Congregational Chapel) - Forecourt wall at Congregational Church. SY 3492 1/2 GV 2. 1750 to 1755 by John Whitty, Minister and architect. Pebbledash cladding to walls of stone. Hipped slate roof. Coved and moulded cornice. Rusticated quoins. Front elevation 2-storeyed with 4 round-headed windows below and 3 oval openings above, 2 blocked. Round-headed doorway flanked by Doric pilasters with entablature over; panelled double doors. C19 addition at left hand end with gable end to front; rendered; circular window in centre above; below it, 6-panelled door with painted voussoir flanked to either side by a round-headed window. Contemporary fittings within. Forecourt walls: C18 and C19. Wall before chapel has rendered and pebbledash front to Coombe Street but has inner face of red and brown brick above a blue lias base; ashlar coping. Brick gate piers with moulded capping to centre and at ends; outer faces to Coombe Street clad in pebbledash. In centre, C19 gates; rails with fleur-de-lys finials rising alternately to 2 different heights. At left hand end, before C19 extension, a wall of regularly coursed stone rubble; rendered coping. Nos 23 to 28 (consec) together with the Congregational Church and forecourt wall form a group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.