You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 406052  

Print Page



© Mr Donald Pittman

IoE Number: 406052
Location: OKEOVER HALL,
  OKEOVER, EAST STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Donald Pittman
Date Photographed: 23 June 2003
Date listed: 10 January 1953
Date of last amendment: 10 January 1953
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 14 NEOKEOVER C.P.OKEOVER PARK3/125Okeover Hall10/1/53

SK 14 NE OKEOVER C.P. OKEOVER PARK 3/125 Okeover Hall 10/1/53 GV II* Country house. c1745-9 and 1757-8 by Joseph Sanderson and Simon File, partly rebuilt 1957-60 by Marshall Sisson. Red brick with ashlar plinth and dressings; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge stacks. East range of c1745-6, West range of c1747-9 largely rebuilt 1957-60, and South range of 1957-60 excepting its east end (1757-8), enclose 3 sides of a courtyard; Gibbsian style. North front: 2-storey, 7- bay front with 3-storey corner towers in angles to flanking wings and central open pedimented break with 2 windows on either side; first floor band and moulded eaves cornice to coped parapet; corner pilasters to angle towers and central break; glazing bar sashes, those to first floor of wings are set within recesses and have scrolled architraves, stepped voussoirs and a sill band continued along each return front, those to ground floor of wings have enriched heads, those to first floor of south range central break and corner towers are round headed, the latter blind, those to ground floor of south range, excepting the towers have round heads and are set within round arched recesses springing from a continuation of the first floor band of the wings, blind second floor oculus to each tower; central 8 panelled door and fanlight with radiating glazing bars. West return of east wing: 7 bays; glazing bar sashes with raised keys, the 2 left hand window bays are blind; central door with bracketed pediment. East return of west wing: 2:3:2 bays, projecting centre with ground floor defined by quoins of alternating lengths; glazing bar sashes with raised keys, the first 2 ground floor windows from the right are blind; central door with bracketed pediment. East front: 2 storeys with first floor band; 1:1:9 bays, wing of 1745-7 to the right, and east end of South range of 1757-8 to the left, with single bay recessed link between. Right hand range has glazing bar sashes with raised keys and moulded surrounds, those to first floor with sill band; central pedimented 3 bays defined by alternating quoins with first floor windows surmounting recessed balustrades, pediment has a central oculus with enriched surround. Left hand bay forms the S.E. pavillion: 2 storeys with attic storey over bold cornice broken to east by arched recess containing first floor Venetian window, quoins to lower floor, pilasters to attic; upper cornice and blocking course; a ground floor angled bay window, blocking course continued as bands (sill band to south); central window of bay is arched, lintel string returned as impost string to south. Recessed link has ground floor door. Interior: Drawing Room: Rich plasterwork by Charles Stanley. Coved plaster ceiling with large roundel containing 2 mythological figures; open well staircase with decorative wrought iron rail of 1748 by Robert Bakewell of Derby. The C18 work at Okeover was done for Leak Okeover and the rebuilding of the 1950's for Sir Ian Walker. The most important country house conversion of the 1950's and 1960's [J.M. Robinson, The Latest Country Houses (1984)]. C.L. Vol. 135 (1964).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.