© Mr John Turner
RAILWAY STATION, ST GEORGES SQUARE
HUDDERSFIELD, KIRKLEES, WEST YORKSHIRE
Mr John Turner
05 May 2004
03 March 1952
Date of last amendment:
03 March 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST GEORGE'S SQUARE
SE 1416 NW 1/33 3.3.52.
1846-50. Architect J P Pritchett of York. Sandstone ashlar. Pitched tile
roof. 2-storey central block with one-storey wings. Central block has 11 bays,
articulated by giant Composite pilastrade on high plinth, with full dentilled
and modillioned entablature. Central 5 bays have free-standing pedimented
portico, 2 bays deep, with clock in tympanum. Inside portico, central 3 bays
break forward for one bay. Podium of 5 steps. Central double doors with 6
moulded panels. End elevations are 3 bays deep and take pediments.
Wings have 9 bays each, fronted by open Composite colonnades, on 3-step podia
and less high plinths: full entablature. 3rd bay on north side has doorway
with moulded surround and cast iron gates of plain but elegant geometrical
Terminal blocks of 5 bays each, breaking forward one bay in front of colonnade,
astylar but continuing the entablature of colonnade. Central 3 bays have
free-standing portico, one bay deep, with no pediment but a solid panelled
parapet in front and balustrades at sides. Elaborate scrolled consoles flank
balustrades and 2 are placed above parapet flanking armorial badges inscribed
"Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company", at north end, and
"Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company," at south end. South block is continued
south by 4 more bays of wall with same entablature: 1st bay has double doors
with moulded surround, next 3 have plain blind panels.
Detached block north of north terminal block 11 bays, first 3 have plain blind
panels and full entablature, next 5 break back and have attic storey, last
3 also have attic and break back still further, and ground floor of these last
8 is masked by a rock-faced stone lean-to.
Platform elevation has, from north to south, as follows: one door with 6 moulded
panels and fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with fanlight,
one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 4 moulded panels and fanlight,
one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, 2 sashes with sunk and panelled
aprons, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, one sash with sunk and
panelled apron, 2 open passageways, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight,
2 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, one door with 8 moulded panels and
fanlight, 3 pairs of panelled doors in pilastered wooden frames with fanlights
and side lights, 2 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, 2 blocked doors with
fanlights, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 6 moulded panels
and fanlight, 3 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, one modern door with
fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 6 moulded panels
and apron, one canted wooden bay with pilasters and full entablature, one sash
with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight,
one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one open passageway and one modern door.
All windows are sashes with glazing bars, in plain surrounds on platform side,
in moulded surrounds on street side; those to central block have cornices on
ground floor, and pediments on 1st floor.
Parcels office has 2 and Booking Office one fluted cast iron Tuscan columns
supporting ceiling. Tiled Art Deco ticket kiosk with bronze mullions and case
Platforms are covered by one very wide and one other cast iron trusses with
elaborate bosses at intersection of bracing members. Original supports have
been replaced or reinforced, except for 2 on platform 4 which are columns
with elaborately moulded bases and colectic capitals. Buffet and Waiting Room
between platforms 4 and 8 is a separate match-boarded structure with panelled
pilasters, each taking paired brackets and cornice. Steps down to underpass
between platforms 4 and 8 have wooden handrails and cast iron balustrade with
turned newels, both around stair well and dorm centre of steps. Massive stone
paving slabs in underpass, and patent wooden non-slip steps down.
History The grandeur of the station is the result of its being built at the
joint expense of the Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company
(absorbed by the LNWR in July 1847) and the Manchester and Leeds Railway.
The former built the line, and planned to extend it to Leeds via Dewsbury.
The latter, having failed to win this concession, needed running rights to
connect their main line at Cooper Bridge with their subsidiary from Springwood
Junction to Sheffield.
The foundation stone was laid by Josh Fitzwilliam, the Lord Lieutenant, on
9 October 1846, when a public holiday was declared and church bells were rung
from dawn till dusk. It was partly opened for the commencement of services
in August 1847, but not completed until October 1850. It had only one platform
until October 1886, when the roof over the tracks, which had been begun in
1878, but had collapsed in course of construction in August 1885 (killing 4
men), was finally completed. The central part housed elaborate refreshment
rooms which functioned until at least 1883.