You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 407660  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB

IoE Number: 407660
Location: WESTGATE PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL,
  STANHOPE, WEAR VALLEY, DURHAM
Photographer: Mr Bob Cottrell ARPS AFIAP DPAGB
Date Photographed: 26 March 2002
Date listed: 05 June 1987
Date of last amendment: 05 June 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STANHOPEWESTGATENY 93 NW19/302Westgate PrimitiveMethodist ChapelII

STANHOPE WESTGATE NY 93 NW 19/302 Westgate Primitive Methodist Chapel II Primitive Methodist Chapel. First part 1824; second part 1871 by George Race junior and Atkinson. Thin courses of squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roofs. 2 storeys, 5 and 3 bays. Main building has 5-panel doors with fanlights, at left and paired at right, in stone surrounds of keyed arches on pilasters. Plain raised stone surrounds to square-headed ground-floor windows; round-headed surrounds in style of doors to first-floor windows, all with aprons. Late C19 glazing with coloured margin lights. Cornices at first floor level and at eaves. Earlier part at right has 2 lower storeys; door at right, and windows as those of main building, but without aprons. Roofs have end chimneys. Interior: painted plaster above boarded dado; coved ceiling with large panels which have stucco leaf decoration in corners; elaborate ceiling ventilator roundels. Gallery round 4 sides, on modified Corinthian cast iron columns, has projecting balustrade with pulvinated pierced cast-iron panel in quatrefoil pattern. Similar columns in gallery support longitudinal arched braces. High panelled pulpit with similar balustrade and steps at one side; communion rail on patterned cast-iron balusters; organ above pulpit. Pews have shaped end panels with painted numbers. Curved doors to east vestries. Source: Clack and Pattinson Weardale Chapels Durham 1978 p.78.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.