You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 407883  

Print Page



© Mr James Ryall LRPS

IoE Number: 407883
Location: TUCKING MILL COTTAGE,
  MONKTON COMBE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr James Ryall LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 October 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 14 August 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 76 SESOUTH STOKETUCKING MILL7/219Tucking Mill Cottage (formerlylisted as William Smith's House)1.2.56

ST 76 SE SOUTH STOKE TUCKING MILL 7/219 Tucking Mill Cottage (formerly listed as William Smith's House) 1.2.56 II - Gothick-style detached cottage. Late C18. Ashlar with hipped slate roof and moulded cornice. 2 storeys. 3 bays and end pilaster strips; glazing bar sash windows with pointed Gothick style heads, in raised plain stone surrounds; plain band over ground floor. Central 6-panel door under pointed overlight and in raised plain stone surround. Lattice porch with pointed tracery. To the right of the door are 2 marble tablets set in a freestone frame. The upper tablet reads: "Here lived William Smith 'Father of English Geology' born 23rd March 1769, died 28th August 1839". The lower tablet reads: "Re-erected in 1932 by The Geological Society of London and The Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Association". However documentary evidence (see Journal of the Bristol Industrial Archaeological Society. XI, 1978) proves that William Smith's brother occupied this house and that he occupied Tucking Mill House (item 7/144, TUCKING MILL, MONKTON COMBE).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.