© Mr Don Brownlow
BELFORD, BERWICK UPON TWEED, NORTHUMBERLAND
Mr Don Brownlow
08 April 2003
22 December 1969
Date of last amendment:
22 December 1969
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
16/83 Belford Hall
Country house, now divided into flats. 1754-56 by James Paine for Abraham
Dixon; wings and rear entrance added 1818 by John Dobson for William Clark.
Ashlar with Scottish slate roof. Palladian style.
Centre block, 2 storeys with high basement, 5 bays. Balustraded steps up to
central doorway in the piano nobile. Pedimented 3-bay centre breaks forward
slightly and has 4 giant engaged Ionic columns with 2 flanking giant Ionic
pilasters. Paired similar pilasters at each end.
Rusticated basement with four 6-pane sashes. Doorway in architrave with
pulvinated frieze and semicircular pediment.12-pane sashes with sill string.
Outer bays have eared chambranlé architraves, pediments and balustraded aprons;
a bold string links the pediments. 6-pane sashes on top floor. Dentilled
cornice, hipped roof with 2 tall corniced ridge stacks.
Dobson's wings, remarkably sympathatic in style, 3 bays with one-bay end
pavilions. Tall rusticated basement, 12-pane sashes. Pavilion windows have
cornices on brackets. Dentilled cornice. Pavilions have small 6-pane sash
above the cornice. Pyramidal roofs.
Rear entrance has tetrastyle Ionic porch in antis. 3-storey tower features
flank the porch and are themselves flanked by 1½-storey, 3-bay sections.
Interior largely gutted for renovation at time of survey. Fragments of Paine
plasterwork retained behind replacement ceilings. 2 marble fireplaces with
Ionic columns; Dobson staircase with cast-iron balusters to be replaced after
Summer house (q.v.) is in Easington Parish.