You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 409020  

Print Page



© Mr David Brown

IoE Number: 409020
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  LANEHAM, BASSETLAW, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Brown
Date Photographed: 09 February 2006
Date listed: 01 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 87 NWLANEHAMCHURCH LANE(east side)Church Laneham2/29Church of

SK 87 NW LANEHAM CHURCH LANE (east side) Church Laneham 2/29 Church of St. Peter 1.2.67 G.V. I Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1891, porch restored 1932. Ashlar and dressed coursed rubble. Lead roofs with parapets. Buttressed. Tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. C12 tower with C15 diagonal buttresses and battlements. West doorway with double chamfered pointed arch and continuous hood mould. Above is an arched 2 light Y traceried window and continuous hood mould with carved human head at the apex. The 4 bell chamber openings each consist of a pair of arched lights with hood mould and label stops. There is a small carved human head to the centre of the western opening. The diagonally buttressed north aisle is set on a plinth with moulded band over and has in the west wall a single pointed arched light with hood mould. The north wall has a chamfered pointed arched doorway with damaged hood mould. To the left are 2 C14 3 light windows with reticulated tracery, cusping, hood moulds, label stops, and flat arches. The east wall has a single arched 3 light C14 window with cusped tracery. The chancel, heightened in the C15, has C12 herringbone masonry to the north west side. There is in the north wall a chamfered pointed arched doorway and to the left a single C14 3 light window with cusped reticulated tracery under a flat arch with hood mould and label stops. The angle buttressed east end has a C19 5 light arched window with cusping, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has a single arched and cusped light with hood mould to the left is a single C13 lancet and further left a single 2 light window with single stone mullion under flat arch and with hood mould and label stops. The south nave with some C12 herringbone masonry has a sinqle arched 3 light window with tracery, cusping, hood mould and label stops, that on the right being a human head. To the left is a single arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mnuld and label stops. The south porch was rebuilt in 1932 using some of the C14 timbers. Timber framed with studded panels set on an ashlar plinth. Tile roof with decorative bargeboard. The inner arched and restored doorway, with reputedly C12 wooden door with long iron hinges and some scroll work, has an inner order of C12 roll moulding flanked by 2 slim colonnettes with late C12 waterleaf capitals supporting C12 arches decorated with zigzag on front and soffit and enriched with rosettes. The hood mould is decorated with globular quatrefoils. Interior. Early C13. 3 bay arcade with complex moulded pointed arches supported on columns with 8 shafts, alternating shafts are decorated with fillets. Each column is set on to a square base. Flankinq the central arch are single fleur de lys. The low small part blocked round C12 tower arch now has a doorway with wooden door under flat arch. The C12 chancel arch has an outer order of roll moulding supported on scalloped capitals and engaged columns, thereis an inner arch with square edges which rests on imposts. There is some C12 herringbone masonry to the south wall and the chancel. In the south chancel wall is a niche and a piscina, both rectangular. Above the west doorway is a carved grotesque. To the left of the south doorway are remnants of an aumbry. The C12 round ashlar font is decorated with tall arcades and set into the base of an arcade pier. The panelled pulpit, inscribed "Soli Deo Honor Et Gloria" and the plain chamfered benches are C17. The panelled vestry screen is C18. There are 2 oak chests both with iron fittings, that in the nave is large and decorated with 3 rosettes, possibly C13, the second, in the vestry, is plain C16. The base of the altar table, decorated around the edges with a scroll pattern, is C16. On the south nave wall is an early C19 alms board. The eastern most window of the south aisle has a fragment of C14 stained glass depicting the Virgin enthroned. In the north aisle are 2 monuments. To Grace Minnitt, 1835 and to William Minnett and his children, 1827, both are plain surmounted by single urns. In the chancel is a large, fine and elaborate restored alabaster monument to Ellis Markham and his son Jervase 1636. Comprising 2 kneeling figures facing east and in early C17 garments. The backgroundcomprising a classical aedicule with Corinthian columns supporting an open pediment with foliate decoration on the soffit and supporting 2 skullsand central helmet. Under the apex of the pediment is a bracket decorated with a cherub's head. The inscription is surrounded by carved garlands. There are several C18 and C19 floor slabs. The nave roof is C17.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.