© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, SOHO ROAD B21
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
08 April 2002
17 January 1985
Date of last amendment:
17 January 1985
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SP 08 NW BIRMINGHAM SOHO ROAD B21
6/11A The Red lion Public House
Public house. 1901-2 by James & Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Brick and terracotta facade; brick to sides and rear. Welsh slate roof. End stacks. PLAN. Long public bar along the road with further bars to right and behind. Spacious staircase hall in right-hand part of the building. EXTERIOR. 3 storeys. Free Renaissance style. Pink terracotta ground floor with entrances at the ends and centre. Shallow canopies carried on human torsoes over the doorways. Windows under shallow 3-centred arches. Upper floors buff terracotta. First floor with 6 traceried windows of different sizes with engaged colonettes and under an elaborate Jacobean-style frieze. Above a polygonal corner tower with attic window and surmounted by a cupola. Two gabled attic windows of different sizes and detail. INTERIOR. Public bar with blue and yellow Minton tiling on walls and panelling ceiling. Exceptionally fine bar back combining mirror-glass and mahogany joinery, enriched with gilded and painted letters. Bar front painted and detailed in Neo-Renaissance style. Fixed seating. Door to smoke room with etched and gilded glass Smoke room with fixed seating. Walls completely tiled with a similar scheme to the public bar but with framed coloured lithographs of girls in pastoral settings. Coffee room with more restrained decoration polished wooden panelling above fixed seats (with bell pushes) and extending to ceiling; framed engravings of dogs and narrative paintings. Oval mirror in over-mantle. Staircase hall entirely tiled with several designs and repeating the colours in the public bar. Ornately detailed newel posts and turned balusters; coloured glass of 1902. A public house of unusual richness and completeness, with interior detailing. comparable to the best surviving examples nationally.
SOURCES: A, Crawford, M. Dunn & R Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Gloucester, 1986), pp. 118-9.