You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 409772  

Print Page



© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS

IoE Number: 409772
Location: 50 52 54 INGE STREET (south side)
  BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
Date Photographed: 26 August 2001
Date listed: 02 June 1988
Date of last amendment: 02 June 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following shall be included in the list:INGE STREETSP 08 NE(South side)7/97

The following shall be included in the list: INGE STREET SP 08 NE (South side) 7/97 Nos 50, 52, and 54 and Nos 1, 2 & 3 attached to rear II Includes Nos 55-63 (odd) Hurst Street and attached wall and outhouses. Shops, offices and flats, originally forming court of houses, 1789 with C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick, part painted and in small part rendered with Welsh slate roof, hipped to corner, and brick ridge stacks. 3 storeys. Front to Inge Street a 4-window range of, from left, a C19 canted bay, 16-pane sash, 6-pane sash, and 16 pane sash. On 2nd floor, blank to left, then three 8-pane sashes and a small 2-light casement. C20 shop fronts to ground floor with C20 window and door to far right. In centre an arched alley entrance with cast-iron plaque above inscribed 'Court 15'. Brick dentilled eaves. To rear a 3-window range of 6-pane sash, 16-pane sash, and 4-pane sash. C20 window , 8-pane sash and 6-pane sash to 2nd floor. Ground floor has doorways, a blocked window (formerly bay) and 2 canted bay windows on wooden brackets, with sashes, the upper lights of which have glazing bars forming diamonds. Front to Hurst Street a 5-window range of, from left, a C20 wood cross window, 16-pane sash 16 pane sash 4-pane sash, 16-pane sash, these last under cambered moulded stucco arches, the others under brick cambered arches. On 2nd floor are 2-light casement, two 8-pane sashes and 2-light casements. C20, shop fronts to ground floor. Brick dentilled eaves. Rear is blank but for small window and archway. Extending from rear of Hurst Street range a high brick wall with lean-to outhouses/privies. Interiors: No 1 (rear) has staircase with small section of Chinese fretwork balustrade (rest not visible) and fireplace (blocked) with dentilled cornice above. No 61/63 Hurst Street has 2 winder stairs and original room divisions and doorways though rooms now interconnecting. No 55 Hurst Street has winder stair. Other lst floor interiors not inspected. Known as Court No 15 and reputed to be the last remaining example of back-to-back housing in the city. Information from Birmingham City Council referring to 1789 lease 198A between air Thomas Gooch and John Willmore,Rate Levy Book (1823-7) Court 15, Inge St., and C W Chalklin: The Provincial Towns of Georgian England: 1974: plate 7).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.