You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 409848  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Harris

IoE Number: 409848
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE (south side)
  HAYTON, BASSETLAW, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Harris
Date Photographed: 26 April 2002
Date listed: 01 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1967
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 78 SWHAYTONCHURCH LANE(south side)4/37Church ofSt. Peter1.2.67

SK 78 SW HAYTON CHURCH LANE (south side) 4/37 Church of St. Peter 1.2.67 I Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored C19. Ashlar, snecked stone, coursed rubble, coursed squared rubble, brick, slate and slab roofs. Chamfered plinths, crenellated parapets, coped east gables with crosses. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, early C14, has string course, eaves band, a single gargoyle to north and south, parapet. A pair of corner buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. That to south has memorial brass, C19. To west, restored C14 double lancet with cusped hexagonal head, splayed reveal and hood mould. Second stage has 4 later C14 double lancet bell openings with moulded reveals, ogee hood moulds and crocketed finials. Nave, C14, 3 bays, has string course and 3 buttresses to north, 3 setoffs. 3 C14 triple lancets with cusped heads, hood moulds and mask stops, restored. Chancel, C14, 2 bays, has moulded eaves. To east, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has 2 C14 style double lancets with cusped heads, restored. East end has C14 Decorated triple lancet with chamfered reveal. South side has off-centre priest's door, and to west, a C14 double lancet in cove moulded reveal. To east, a C14 style double lancet with cusped head. South aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses, 3 setoffs. East end has C15 triple lancet with 4 centred arched head, restored. South side has 2 C14 double lancets in splayed reveals, restored. West end has window similar to east end. South porch, C14, has deep moulded plinth and string course, parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. Moulded south doorway with moulded imposts and hood mould. Above, crenellated gable. Interior has stone benches and vaulted roof with chamfered ribs and half- octagon imposts. Inner doorway, C12, restored, with chamfered reveal, moulded hood with dogtooth and zigzag band of stylised leaves. Foliate stops. C19 traceried panelled door. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, dying into wall. Nave south arcade, late C12, 3 bays, has 2 round piers, that to east with stiff leaf capital, that to west with moulded capital and water holding base. Chamfered and rebated round arches with C19 stiff leaf imposts. North side has stained glass windows 1886, 1884 and C19. C19 hammer beam roof with curved braces on mask and foliate corbels, C14, and C19. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and rebated, with foliate imposts. Chancel east end has panelled oak reredos, 1928, with cresting and inscription. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1877. South side has to east C13 piscina with pointed trefoil head. C19 hammer beam roof with curved braces on foliate corbels. South aisle has to east a chamfered square aumbry and a re-set foliate corbel. East window has stained glass by Ward and Hughes, 1891. South side has to east a C19 pointed arched piscina and a window with stained glass c.1861. C19 lean-to roof on foliate corbels. Fittings include re-tooled C14 font with traceried panelled octagonal stem and octagonal bowl with foliate panels. C19 octagonal traceried panelled ashlar pulpit with brass and iron handrail, C19 carved timber eagle lectern. Deal pews with doors and fleur de lys finials. Large carved clergy desk with finials. Turned and pierced oak choir stalls. Monuments incude 3 effigies, early C14, of man, woman and child. Marble memorial tablets, 1775 and c.1856, large slate memorial, 1817, memorial tile, 1808, brass and slate memorial, 1893. Brasses 1898 and 2 C20. Roll of Honour, 1919.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.