© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
CEMETARY LODGE, 161 WARSTONE LANE
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
06 August 2000
12 April 1991
Date of last amendment:
12 April 1991
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The following Building shall be added:-
WARSTONE LANE, Hockley
SP 98 NE
7/98 Cemetery Lodge (No. 161)
Cemetery lodge. 1848 by J.R. Hamilton of Gloucester. Blue-grey
engineering brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings.
Steeply pitched slate roof with crested ridge tiles and stone
coping to gable ends. Gable end and axial stacks, each with 3
octagonal ashlar shafts with moulded caps and base, the south west
stack is corbelled out from gable end.
Rectangular plan with central carriageway; cemetery keeper's
cottage on left (north west) and offices on right (north east).
Tudor Gothic style.
2 storeys. 3 bays, the centre in tall advanced gable with
marginal buttresses, double-chamfered 4-centred arch carriageway
with carved keystone on corbel for canted stone oriel above with
crenellated cornice and shaft rising from its roof to buttressed
gablet on gable apex surmounted by stone cross. Flanking bays
have stone 4-light windows with king mullions and transoms and
gabled half-dormers with 2-light windows, all with 4-centred arch
heads to lights and metal casements. Diagonal corner buttresses.
3-bay rear (north west) elevation has gabled central carriageway
with diagonal buttresses, similar arch and tall stepped 3-light
window and loop above; flanked by lower advanced gables, that on
left with tall 2-light first floor window over panel and small
ground floor window and on right 3-light ground floor and 2-light
first floor windows similar to those at front. Chamfered 4-
centred arch doorways inside carriageway and gates at front of
carriageway with wrought-iron grilles in open panels and with
wrought-iron hinges and cresting.
Interior not inspected.
Note: This was part of the competition entry for the design of
the Church of England cemetery, which extends to about 9 acres and
contained the Church of St Michael (demolished).
Source: Kelly's Directory' 1928.