© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
THE ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE, BRADFORD STREET
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
23 July 2001
10 December 1991
Date of last amendment:
10 December 1991
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BIRMINGHAM BRADFORD STREET
SF 08 NE
7/10004 The Anchor Public House
Public house. 1901 by James and Lister Lea for Holt Brewery Company.
Red bricked terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern Station Brick
and Terracotta Company of Loughborough). Flat roof concealed behind
parapet. Brick end and axial stacks.
Plan: situated on corner site with entrance on corner to central
public bar which is partitioned on right with separate entrance;
doorways also to left and right to passage, outdoor and smoke room.
Louis XIV style influence.
Exterior: 2 storeys 1:2:2 bay Bradford Street front and 2:1:2:1 Rae
Street elevation to right with 1-bay rounded corner. The terracotta
ground floor has large bar windows with moulded elliptical arches with
raised voussoirs and keystone and leaded panes with stained glass. The
round arch doorways have similarly treated arches and fanlights.
Entablature above ground floor with moulded cornice and fascia. On
first floor the terracotta 2-window bays are pilastered and have
raised voussoirs to round arches and friezes above with arabesques and
cartouchs. The curved corner window is similarly treated but has flat
arch and 1-window bays are plain. Terracotta moulded cornice and
parapet. Plain brick lower 2-storey, 2 bay wing on left.
Interior: Public bar has entrance porch in corner, low panelled screen
with Art Nouveau stained glass panels, anaglypta ceiling, pilastered
and panelled bar-front and bar-back with engraved mirror glass,
pilasters and canopy with wavey fretwork and fluted pilaster drops
forming lyre shapes. Hallway has radiator and glazed hatch.
Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne. Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939.