© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
THE WHITE SWAN PUBLIC HOUSE, BRADFORD STREET
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
26 August 2001
10 December 1991
Date of last amendment:
10 December 1991
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BIRMINGHAM BRADFORD STREET
SP 08 NE
7/10007 The White Swan Public House
Public house. 1899-1900 by James and Lister Lea for Ansells Brewery.
Red brick and terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern Station.
Brick and Terracotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with coped
gables, terracotta dentilled eaves and pierced ridge tiles. Brick axial
and gable end stacks.
Plan: Situated on corner site. Public bar with entrance on Bradford
Street and corner; passage to smoke-room at back on left and outdoor
and passage to stairs on right in Birchall Street. Jacobean or Flemish
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. 4-bay front to Bradford Street. Bays
2 and 4 Dutch gabled; canted corner with canted terracotta oriel over
doorway and 3-bay front to right on Birchall Street, the left bay
Dutch gabled, the right plainer lower 2-storey range. Terracotta
ground floor with panelled plinth, the large bar windows and doorways
have cable-moulded arrises, the central doorway on Bradford Street has
segmental pediment on consoles in the entablature above. Bar windows
have leaded panes and stained glass. Recessed wooden canted bays on
first floor with pulvinated friezes and ogee lead canopies and simple-
light windows between with cornices. The attic windows have cornices
and aprons and are in Dutch gables with flanking finials and pendants
and aedicules at apex with semi-circular pediments; pedimented dormer
between gables on Bradford Street front.
Interior: Good Minton tiled interior with friezes in public bar,
passages, stairs and outdoor. Public bar also has tiled ceiling and
panelled front to bar counter and pilastered bar back with arched
mirrors and balustrade and clock above. Partition in public bar has
been removed; but entrance lobby survives; ceiling lined in Lincrusta
paper. Passages have engraved glass in doors and- particularly good
wall tiling which also lines stair well; the stairs have moulded
balustrade and newels. Smoke-room has tiled frieze and small iron
chimney piece and grate.
Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne. Birmingham Parks 1880-1939.