© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
SWAN AND MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE, LICHFIELD ROAD
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
26 July 2001
10 December 1991
Date of last amendment:
10 December 1991
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BIRMINGHAM LICHFIELD ROAD
SP 08 NE
Swan and Mitre Public House
Public house. 1898-9 by James and Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery
Company. Red brick and terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern
Station Brick and Terrcotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with
gabled ends. Brick axial and gable end stacks.
Plan: Situated on corner site with corner and front entrances to the
bars and end entrances to the smoke room at the back and stairs.
Dutch Renaissance style.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 2:1:2 bay Lichfield Road elevation and 2:1:2 bay
right hand return to Holborn Hill with canted corner carrying oriel
with wooden cupola above with ogee dome with tall spike finial. The
2-window bays break forward and have shaped gables. The ornate
terracotta ground floor has large moulded elliptically arched windows
with keystones, rooks, shafts and balustered wooden mullions; the
narrower doorways are similarly detailed but with round arches;
roundels above the doors and spandrels above window arches with an
entablature above that which continues around the corner oriel, the
soffit of which has terracotta foliage decoration. Paved first floor
windows have ornate terracotta pediments with swagged console
brackets. Windows have leaded panes with some stained glass. Panelled
doors with semi-circular fanlights. The right hand 2 bays of Holborn
Hill elevation forms plain red brick rear wing.
Interior: The bars have Jacobean style wooden bar backs and bar fronts
with fluted pilasters, arched mirrors and clocks above. The smoke-room
has an imported wooden chimneypiece with bulbous colonettes flanking
the overmantel mirror.The passage and stairs have tiled walls and the
staircase has turned newels and balusters.
Note: Formerly known as The Swanpool Tavern.
Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne, Birmingham pubs 1880-1939.