You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 410119  

Print Page

© Mr D.R. Smith LRPS

IoE Number: 410119
Photographer: Mr D.R. Smith LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 June 2001
Date listed: 13 January 1992
Date of last amendment: 13 January 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added to the list; BIRMINGHAM EDMUND STREET SP 0687 SE Numbers 106-110, The Scottish Mutual Assurance Society Building 29/10012 (including number, 29 Newhall Street) II GV Office building. Dated 1895; altered C20. By Frank Barlow Osbourne for W H Smythe, Solictors. Red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings; blue tile roof. 4 storeys with cellars; 4:1:4 bays wrapped around corner of Newhall Street and Edmund Street; asymmetrical. In simplified Flemish Revival style. Altered ground floor with corner entrance and separate entrances to 29 Newhall Street and 110 Edmund Street. Across each upper floor is a continuous balcony with wrought-iron balustrade set on the corbelled ashlar cornice of the floor below. Moulded sill bands; cross windows with chamfered ashlar dressings in brick surrounds. Newhall Street front: bay 3 projects and has a canted bay window on first and second floors, the side-lights with transoms only; projection narrows on the third floor its window flanked by C-scrolls and by brick pilasters which rise through a string course and 2 cornices to a shaped gable with kneelers, copings and ball finial; above the window is a decorative ashlar panel. The flanking bays are recessed but otherwise treated in similar manner whilst bay 1 is narrower projection with cross window to each floor and simpler gable. Main ridge has broad, corniced transverse stack and matching coaxial stack. Corner bay has rounded turret with curved cross-window to each floor and 4-light mullioned opening to void beneath octagonal ogee dome set on a corbel table. Edmund Street front: generally treated as Newhall Street front but with broad gable on left which projects and has cross-windows to each floor flanked by brick pilasters and by transomed single-light windows. Beneath first floor window is a carved ashlar panel with monogram and date '1895'; cornice above third floor surmounted by small ashlar pediment; 2-light window within the gable. Transverse ridge stacks as before. Important city centre location. Noteworthy roofscape.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.