You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 411102  

Print Page



© Mr A. B. Cooke

IoE Number: 411102
Location: REMAINS OF OLD QUARR ABBEY AT QUARR ABBEY FARM, FISHBOURNE PARK ROAD
  RYDE, ISLE OF WIGHT, ISLE OF WIGHT
Photographer: Mr A. B. Cooke
Date Photographed: 22 July 2003
Date listed: 24 October 1950
Date of last amendment: 24 October 1950
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

FISHBOURNE PARK ROAD,1577BINSTEADRemains of OldQuarr Abbey at

FISHBOURNE PARK ROAD, 1. 1577 BINSTEAD Remains of Old Quarr Abbey at Quarr Abbey Farm SZ 5692 1/95 SZ 59 SE 7/95 24.10.50. II 2. Quarr Abbey was a Cistercian foundation of 1131 but the remains are scanty. The farmhouse is early C19 two storey probably of old stones. Lancet windows grouped in threes below stepped gables. Ground floor three lights with stone mullions to outer bays. The centre is slightly recessed with corbelled parapet, double chamfered pointed arch to doorway. Stepped gables to side and to rear which is considerably taller, thecrown of gable raised up with cornice and pierced by lancet. Below the gable to the North, the archway, linking the farmhouse to the bam originally the cellarian, may be connected with the West front of the church. The barn represents the West range of the cloisters, and its entrance bay to the North has a group of genuine C13 lancets reset. To the East and West: remains of the North range, retaining part of the kitchen entrance and vertiges of its interior, heavily chamfered hatch between kitchen and the South end of the refectory. Of the refectory one shafted joint to the doorway and one wall shaft of what must have been blank arcading, survive. Next to the door a cupboard recess. Apart from this group little remains: to the North a section of wall and an arch with continuous chamfer, possibly part of the Abbot's lodging or a woodhouse. To the East a fragment of wall and part of a fireplace with a square head and panelled sides of the C14, a round headed North window. This was the infirmary chapel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.