You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 414633  

Print Page



© Mr John Titley

IoE Number: 414633
Location: POWNALL HALL (SCHOOL), CARRWOOD ROAD (west side)
  WILMSLOW, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Titley
Date Photographed: 19 May 2002
Date listed: 07 December 1973
Date of last amendment: 07 December 1973
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 88 SWWILMSLOW FORMER U.D.CARRWOOD ROAD(West Side)1/271Pownall Hall (School).

SJ 88 SW WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. CARRWOOD ROAD (West Side) 1/271 Pownall Hall (School). 7/12/1973 GV II* Formerly large house, now school: c.1833 for James Pownall, major internal and some external alterations 1886-90 supervised by William Ball for Henry Boddington. Some C20 alterations. Ashlar pink sandstone, cream brick to sides and rear. Red tile roof and 2 stone chimneys with octagonal stacks. 2-storey, symmetrical 7-bay front (1:2:1:2:1). Castellated parapet. End bays have octagonal buttresses and windows are ornate Gothick sashes with carved heraldic panels between. Central 5 bays are taller and have angle buttresses at the end. 15-pane sashes below, 12-pane sashes above, both with hood moulds, but the lower ones above ogee heads with carved heraldry in the spandrels. Projecting buttressed, castellated porch has a similar ogee head over an oak board door with remarkable Art Nouveau furniture. Much carving of pedigrees and heraldry inside the porch. 12-pane sash above and arms of Richard Pownall in triangular pediment. 4 tile hung dormers behind castellations. Interior: is sumptuous with much of the work done by the Century Guild and to a lesser extent Morris and Co., though some of the original furnishings and fittings are now lost. Most rooms have a De Morgan tiled fireplace, stained glass panels by Shrigley and Hunt and furniture and fittings designed by Mackmurdo. Entrance Hall: is as late Medieval great hall; heavy panelled ceiling has one beam carved with the names of patron, architect and local craftsmen. Stone fireplace carved with personifications of Norse days of the week and has pair of brass gas lamps and reflectors. Fine stained glass panels of signs of the zodiac. Oak well staircase with 2 rails and no balusters, formerly had deep alcove at mezzanine level with large window showing the 4 winds (now blocked off from hall by overmantel; window lights backstairs). Dining Room: to left of hall has large fireplace with mantelshelf carried on a large pair of gilded atlantes by Benjamin Creswick and a central painted panel by Selwyn Image. Some typical Mackmurdo woodwork and firegrate. Frieze has packs of dogs head on and running swags of thistles above. Ceiling has central elliptical panel with a border of apples. Glass depicts the months of the year in the manner of Books of Hours. Finely chased brass door furniture. Drawing room: to right of hall. Walnut doors, rails and fireplace with pale marquetry detailing. Similar door furniture. Overmantel has a pair of triple, typical Mackmurdo, slender columns with an Art Nouveau capital. Glass shows heads of Roman deities. Library: to rear of hall, has fitted bookcases, desks and seating. Art Nouveau carved overmantel has painted plaster panels of the 7 Ages of Man and a tableau from "As you like it" by J D Watson. Glass panel of Chaucer and Dante. Bedrooms: each carved with Fytton being the best. This has exposed timber framing above a panelled dado and is divided into separate sleeping, dressing and sitting areas. Art Nouveau details to screen in front of the fireplace, and 2 fitted wardrobes. De Pownale is main bedroom, but somewhat denuded glass panels show angels and it has keyhole bath and shower with De Morgan tiles. Bollyn has an inscribed hood over the bed and Dovecote has glass panels showing an owl awakening and sleeping. Day Nursery: open to roof with exposed trusses, walls have fluted pilasters and mural over the fireplace. Window seats have finely carved panels and bench ends. At one end is a music gallery above the school room. A remarkable interior if somewhat denuded that developed over 10 years with the Century Guild providing many details and fittings from 1886 onwards. Pevsner comments that "The result is unique in its presentation of the most advanced the Arts and Crafts could do in 1886-90". The house is full of inscriptions mainly to establish Henry Boddington's place in the ownership of Pownall Hall. See Pevsner and Hubbard, and T Raffles Davison, "A Modern County House (A review of Pownall Hall)". The Art Journal 1891, 329-334 and 351-357

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.