© Mr K W Newland
SHARDELOES, WENDOVER ROAD A413 (south side)
AMERSHAM, CHILTERN, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE
Mr K W Newland
11 June 2005
22 December 1958
Date of last amendment:
17 May 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. AMERSHAM WENDOVER ROAD (A413)
5134 (south side)
SU 99 NW 1/152 22.12.58
Built by William Drake in 1758-66 on site of earlier house.
Architects: Stiff Leadbetter, portico and interior decoration by Robert Adam.
From 1773 James Wyatt employed. Painted cement rendering with stone dressings.
Westmoreland slate roof with balustraded parapet, and modillion cornice. Later
box dormers to north-west and south-west slopes. Two storeys and attic. North-
east elevationhasnine bays with central 3 bay Portland stone portico with
Corinthian columns and pilasters, frieze, modillion cornice and pediment. Each
outer bay projects slightly and has pedimented ground floor window set in semi-
circular headed arched recess. Pedimented central doorway, all other ground
floor windows have cornices. Square first floor windows with eared and
shouldered architraves. South east elevation of seven bays, pedimented doorway
to centre, outer bays and window treatment as North East elevation. South west
elevation has more closely spaced fenestration.
Interior: Entrance Hall, Large room to north, Dining room, library and bedroom
in south east range are all of high quality, with decorations by Robert Adam
(the bedroom perhaps by Wyatt) and the upper paintings in the library by
Setting: the landscape was designed by Humphrey Repton in c.1790 and is
illustrated in his surviving 'Red Book'. Country Life Vol XXXIV 5/7/13.