You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 415838  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 415838
Location: PHYSICWELL HOUSE,
  STOKE TRISTER, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 16 June 2007
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 25 January 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST72NWSTOKE TRISTER CP4/115Physicwell House(formerly listed as Horwood WellHouse)

ST72NW STOKE TRISTER CP 4/115 Physicwell House (formerly listed as Horwood Well House) 24.3.61 - II* House. Circa 1805. Doulting stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapet, rendered brick chimney stacks. In style of a Regency Villa. 2 storeys, 3 bays each face. West elevation has plinth, small dentilled cornice low parapet without coping; centre bay projects slightly; semi- circular headed sash windows to ground floor set in arched recesses, and above 12-pane sashes in plain reveals; central doorway has pair glazed doors with slim sidelights under ornate Regency semi-circular cast iron fanlight. Some blind panels to side elevations, on which windows were formerly 'painted-in'. Semi-circular plain projection to rear having staircase, with door in side and 12-pane sash window set on curve. Interior very little changed: good cantilevered stone staircase; fine doors, including one made on curve to fit curved partition to centre room. A speculation of the local Messiter family after two mineral springs were discovered in 1805 (one in house): Horwood spa offered the 'water cure' with baths, visitor's rooms, a small chapel, and even a nearby bank which opened 1808 and was forced to close 1810. Messiter went bankrupt, 1819, and the building sold and converted to farmhouse with offices. (Sweetman, G. "History of Wincanton" c1903).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.