You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 41592  

Print Page



©  Brian Steptoe FRPS

IoE Number: 41592
Location: SWALLOW FIELD PARK AND GATEWAY FROM GARDEN ONTO PATH LEADING TO COURTYARD, CHURCH ROAD (north east side)
  SWALLOWFIELD, WOKINGHAM, BERKSHIRE
Photographer: Brian Steptoe FRPS
Date Photographed: 16 August 1999
Date listed: 01 August 1952
Date of last amendment: 14 February 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SWALLOWFIELDCHURCH ROADSU 76 NW(North-east side)8/37Swallowfield Park and adjoining

SWALLOWFIELD CHURCH ROAD SU 76 NW (North-east side) 8/37 Swallowfield Park and adjoining 1.8.52 Stable Block (formerly listed as Swallow field Park and gateway from garden onto path leading to courtyard) G.V. II* Large country house and stables in parkland, now residential apartments. Late C17 by Talman for the second Earl of Clarendon, adapted and altered in 1820 by William Atkinson for Sir Henry Russell. Restored c1975. Rendered brick and brick, with hipped slate roofs of different heights. Main block is H-plan with wings projecting to the entrance front, and more at the rear; the stable block is centred round an arcaded courtyard open to the west and adjoining the main block on the north and south corners of the north west wing. 2 storeys. Numerous chimneys. Main block:- rendered with plinth, first floor string, frieze and cornice, and panelled parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars in architrave surrounds. South- west front has a 5-bay centre with central door and rectangular fanlight, under a Greek Doric porch with corner piers and entablature carried forward over pairs of columns. The centre is flanked by projecting wings, each of 2 bays. North-east front is generally similar but without a porch and has niches between windows. South-east front has 9 bays; the centre 3 bays project slightly with 4 Doric pilasters and entablature. Stables:- Brick 2 storeys. The southern section projects in front of the main block with plinth, strings at first floor level and over first floor windows; panelled parapet. Segmental headed sash windows with glazing bars. 4 bays, the right hand bay slightly set back with a half glazed door under arched radiating and wreathed fanlight. To the left of this is an arched stable entrance flanked by pilasters the whole height with stone caps and one casement window over arch. Above on the roof is a bell turret with cupola. This archway is repeated in the opposite wing. Both wings have arcaded corridors on the inner faces now enclosed with round headed windows with glazing bars. To the left of the archway is a southern wing, and at right angles running south-west is a long extension of 12 bays with arched entrance of similar design. Interior of house:- Entrance hall has marble floor, carved stone fireplace enriched with egg and dart and acanthus leaf mouldings, panelled door and window reveals; arched and radiating fanlights over 2 doors, through to an oval vestibule on the garden side, which has a marble floor, an ornate stucco ceiling with 8 panels enriched with swags, festoons and garlands. 4 niches with shell heads, moulded and curved wall panelling between; moulded ceiling cornice; 6-panelled doors with broken pediments over. This room is said to be part of Talman's work, and the stone doorway listed separately is Talman's and formed the doorway from the garden until 1820. A house has stood on this site since very early times. V.C.H. Vol.III p.267. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.238.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.