You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 416636  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 416636
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 19 December 1990
Date of last amendment: 19 December 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 54 NE ST CUTHBERT OUT CP 11/95 Chapel with covered approach to Mendip Hospital GV II Chapel attached by a covered walkway to rear of County Lunatic Asylum. which is now a hospital (qv). 1845-7. By G G Scott and W B Moffatt. works supervised by Richard Carver. for County Magistrates. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings. coped verges. slate roofs with circular domes iron vents. 2-stage buttresses with offsets. Crossing tower with spire. transepts. nave. chancel, lean-to vestry; in C13 style. Two-light windows with simple tracery and lancets, some grouped; base of tower square on plan. top stage octagonal, broaches. 2-light bell-chamber window to each face. above corbels supporting a continuous octagonal stone spire with a finial. Elevated approach from hospital in conforming neo-medieval style. 3-light stone mullioned windows; set on bridge spanning road which runs along rear of hospital. Interior of interest. An important example of Scott's early industrial work; contract won in open competition; built by Kirk of Sleaford. (Builder, 1845; architects drawing in RIBA).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.