© Robert E Priest LRPS
GREAT OTE HALL, JANES LANE
WIVELSFIELD, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Robert E Priest LRPS
11 August 1999
17 March 1952
Date of last amendment:
17 March 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
WIVELSFIELD JANE'S LANE
Great Ote Hall
TQ 32 SW 1/59 17.3.52.
The old portion of this house is a T-shaped building, of which the southern
arm forms a very small projection, so that the plan of the house seems more
like an L, to which a modillion south wing has been added. The original portion
is the west wing which is a timber-framed building, restored, of about 1550
with plaster infilling and close-studding. The east wing was added by Thomas
Godman in 1600 and has this date on it. This is also timber-framed, restored.
Horsham slab roof. Casement windows. Three windows. The north front forms
an L and has chimney breast on the west walls of both the west and north wings,
the lower portion in each case being of ashlar, above of red brick. The north
wing has a gable oversailing on brackets with a carved pendant and below the
gable a 2 storey bay. The west wing has a similar dormer and a modern 2 storey
gabled porch. Four windows. The east front has 3 windows. The outer window
bays have slightly projecting bays of 2 storeys with gabled dormers over.
The centre window bay is similar but projects much more and has an oriel window
on the first floor with a pediment over containing the initials G. T. M [Godman,
Thomas and Mary] and the date 1600 on the tympanum. Brick chimney breast on
the south wall. The house contains a staircase of 1600 circa and contemporary
panelling and stone fireplaces. Modern L-wing in matching style to the south-west.
The house was occupied in the early C18 by General Sir William Shirley who
was Governor of Massachusetts, New England, and of the Bahama Islands, and
from 1761 onwards by Selina Countess of Huntingdon who fitted up a room in
the house as a Chapel and whose Chaplain, the Rev W Romaine, constantly preached
Articles in the Sussex Archaeological Collections Volume 19, p 61 and Volume
34, p 255.