You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 420096  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 420096
Location: CHRIST CHURCH, MAIN ROAD (west side)
  LONG LOAD, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 26 August 2003
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

Christ Church, Main Road. 9/129 3/129 ------------------------------------ Christ Church, Main Road. 9/129 3/129 ------------------------------------ ST4623 LONG LOAD CP MAIN ROAD (West side) 9/129 Christ Church 19.4.61 GV II Anglican Parish Church. 1854-6, by C E Giles, replacing chapel first recorded 1418. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; bands of plain and scalloped clay tiles between stepped coped gables with cross finials. Two-cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 5-bay nave, with south porch and lean-to north-east vestry and spirelet. In a C13 revival style. Chancel has plinth, cill course, double corner buttresses; east window 3-light Geometric traceried under pointed arched label with unworked steps; south windows a single and a 2-light to match: vestry has 2 small cusped lancets in east wall, plain to north, and ponited arched doorway with curl stop lable in west wall, decorated chimney off north wall of chancel wall, which has a 2-light window west of vestry. Nave has details to match, with bay buttresses and 2-light geometric traceried windows in north and south walls, and a sub-arcuated 4-light west window. South porch has a C13 style moulded outer arch in gable, and simpler arch inside. Spirelet on north-east corner of nave, on octagonal base with plinth, stepped offsets just above eaves level, then a lancet with tracery infill to each face, finally a stepped stone steeplet with iron cross finials. Interior not accessible at time of survey (July 1985) - Pevsner says nothing of interest inside but VCH refers to the Jacobean pulpit which survives from the former chapel (VCH, Vol IV, 1978; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.