You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 420416  

Print Page



© Mr James Brown

IoE Number: 420416
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE (east side)
  WEST DRAYTON, BASSETLAW, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr James Brown
Date Photographed: 31 January 2007
Date listed: 01 February 1967
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 77 SWWEST DRAYTONCHURCH LANE(east side)5/87Church ofSt. Paul

SK 77 SW WEST DRAYTON CHURCH LANE (east side) 5/87 Church of St. Paul 1.2.67 II* Parish church. C12, C15, rebuilt 1874. Dressed coursed rubble, ashlar and some render. Tile roofs, coped gables with single ridge cross to east end. Single damaged cross to the coped gable of the slightly projecting double arched west bell turret. Nave and chancel under single roof, north vestry. In the projecting shaft of the bell turret is a single C15 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with concrete surround. Projecting from the north is a C19 red brick, render and tile vestry with coped gable and single arched and cusped light in the north wall. To the left is a further C19 wing with 2 doorways with plank doors. Behind this wing, in the north nave wall, is a single C19 arched and cusped light with moulded surround, hood mould and label stops. In the north chancel wall is a single similar window. The buttressed east end is set on a plinth and has a single arched C15 window with 3 lights, cusped panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The south wall has 2 C19 arched and cusped lights with moulded surrounds, hood moulds and label stops. To the left is a worn C12 round arched doorway with wooden plank door. 2 slim columns with worn capitals support zigzag decorated imposts. The arch is decorated on front and soffit with zigzag and there is a scalloped hood mould. To the right of the doorway is an arched stoup. To the left is a single C19 arched and cusped light with moulded surround, hood mould and label stops. Interior. A pointed arched doorway leads to the vestry. Late C19 octagonal font, the remaining furniture being late C19 and C20. Under the west window is a C14 stylised carved cross. To the left is a slab with similarly carved cross. The east window is by Lavers and Westlake, London, 1895.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.