You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 422269  

Print Page



© Ms Diana Hill

IoE Number: 422269
Location: THE MARKET HOUSE, CHURCH STREET (centre of)
  MARTOCK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Ms Diana Hill
Date Photographed: 19 February 2003
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The Market House, Church Street. 12/183 9/183 ------------------------------------ The Market House, Church Street. 12/183 9/183 ------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (Centre) 12/183 The Market House 19.4.61 GV II Market House. C18. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roof over stone slate base courses between coped gables with kneelers; stone chimney stack. Two storeys, 4 bays by single bay. Plinth, band course, dentilled eaves course; lower level originally totally open, with keystoned 3-centred arches and imposts continued as band courses; the two north bays converted to public conveniences around enclosed staircase, presumably in 1960s: first floor has 12-pane sash windows in architraves to sides. South gable has a Venetian window with console bracketted cill to first floor, and a semi-circular pierced stone vent in keystoned architrave to gable; the north gable similar but with an ordinary 12-pane window, and this gable crowned with a small bell-turret still retaining its bell; the ground floor infill in matching detail. Interior not seen. Probably built c1753 by order of the vestry, although it could have been built by the Slades, who purchased the manor in 1759. Building restored and reopened 1960-61. (VCR, Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.