You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 422385  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 422385
Location: CUTTLE MILL,
  STEEPLE ASTON, CHERWELL, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 08 December 1955
Date of last amendment: 08 December 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STEEPLE ASTONSP42NE2/96Cuttle Mill08/12/55GVII*

STEEPLE ASTON SP42NE 2/96 Cuttle Mill 08/12/55 GV II* Watermill and millhouse, now house. Late C17/early C18, altered c.1738 by William Kent. Coursed squared marlstone with wooden lintels; Stonesfield-slate roof with stone and brick stacks. 3-unit plan plus mill in a single range, with a short added wing in Gothick style. 2 storeys. 4-window front of main range has the entrance in bay 2 with flanking 3-light casements, and at first floor has casements of 2, 2, 3 and 2 lights; bay 4 has a second inserted entrance and a 2-light casement adjoining the projecting wing. Range extends slightly beyond the wing with a further tall opening, now a window. Stepped gable of wing has crocketed corner pinnacles plus 2 intermediate re-set pinnacles, and contains a quatrefoil window above a tall ogee-headed window below which is a rebuilt stone stair; rubble flying buttresses flanking the gable wall are now topped by large rubble pinnacles, but originally carried the 2 crocketed pinnacles re-set on the gable. Roof of main range has a brick stack to the left gable, plus a large central stone stack. Interior: open fireplace; stop-chamfered beam. Re-modelled by Kent to form "The Temple of the Mill" in the principal view from Rousham Park; one of the earliest examples of a picturesque eyecatcher. (Rousham Park is included in the H.B.M.C. Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade I; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p745; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p38; M. Jourdain, The Work of William Kent, 1948, p81)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.