You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 422562  

Print Page



© Mr Douglas Fairbank LRPS

IoE Number: 422562
Location: EASTCOTE LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION AND ADJOINING SHOPS, INCLUDING PLATFORMS, FIELD END ROAD (north side)
  RUISLIP, HILLINGDON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Douglas Fairbank LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 17 May 1994
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added:TQ 1187 NWFIELD END ROAD(north side)

TQ 1187 NW FIELD END ROAD (north side) 800-/24/10014 Eastcote LRT Underground Station and adjoining shops, including platforms II London Underground station. Designed in 1936 by Charles Holden but not opened until 1939. Reinforced concrete post and lintel construction, exposed at platform level, red and grey brick diaper infil, much of it loadbearing. Flat concrete roof slabs treated as broad cornice band under deep eaves. Symmetrical composition on bridge. Double entrance between single-storey shops with curved frontages leads into square double-height ticket hall. Single-storey passage at rear, whence stairs under stepped enclosures with clerestorey glazing descend to integral platforms. The platform buildings set back under deep canopies with clerestorey glazing; at their ends curved waiting rooms. Original bronzed glazing and curved door to 'The Bakery', kiosk west of entrance. Fenestration of other shop altered. Above both impaled open roundels with original signage 'UndergrounD'. Rest of glazing to station metal with horizontal emphasis. Ticket hall with full-height clad tripartite glazing to front and back, and circular top-light in exposed concrete ceiling. It is clad in black tiles at ground floor level. Piers on platforms have small, square, brown tiles. Original clocks on both platforms, with Roman numerals in faces. Doors to waiting rooms also original, as is the glazing, though the horizontal bars have been removed. Included as a complete and unique example of Holden's later evolution of the Sudbury Town style of station, lighter and more Scandinavian in feel than the earlier versions.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.