You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 422626  

Print Page



© Dr Ed Lorch

IoE Number: 422626
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  MARTOCK, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Ed Lorch
Date Photographed: 19 February 2003
Date listed: 28 April 1987
Date of last amendment: 28 April 1987
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

Church of All Saints, Church Street. 12/207 9/207 ------------------------------------ Church of All Saints, Church Street. 12/207 9/207 ------------------------------------ ST4619 MARTOCK CP CHURCH STREET (West side) 12/207 Church of All Saints 19.4.61 GV II Parish Church. C13 and C16, restored by Ferrey and Scott 1860 onwards, also 1883/4 by Ewan Christian. Ham stone ashlar; sheet lead roofs behind parapets. Seven-cell plan: 4-bay chancel, 6-bay nave, 5-bay north and south aisles, 2-bay choir chapels and south porch, west tower. Chancel: double plinth, cill strings, eaves course, bay and paired corner buttresses: east wall rebuilt 1883, has C13 5-lancet window with small gable lancet over; north and south walls have 2 C15 3-light windows in recesses, with small round-arched doorway, up steps. North-east chapel to match, but with castellated parapets; C15 traceried windows in hollow chamfered recesses, a 5-light in east wall, and 2 sub-arcuated 4-light windows in north wall; in north west corner an octagonal stair turret. North aisle, no plinth to wide east bay (former transept), then double plinth, bay buttresses, string course with gargoyles and plain parapet: 4-light sub-arcuated C16 traceried windows: C19 projection bay 4 set lower but matching; segmental arched east doorway and 2-light segmental-arched north window to gable and under stilted label; 4-light west window to aisle. South-east chapel has double plinth, cill and head string with gargoyles, battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles over bay buttresses; C16 tranceried windows, 5-light east window and 4- light sub-arcuated south windows. South aisle to match, but pinnacles missing; windows as north aisle. South porch 2 storey: angled corner buttresses, battlemented parapets and gable; C16 moulded outer arch, with ogee-cusped recess above under unstopped ogee label, then small 2-light window, probably C19; small cusped ogee-arched light in east wall: circular stair turret to north-west corner: inside porch a lierne vault roof with bosses, matching inner doorway. Nave: with C16 clerestorey; battlemented parapet with pierced quatrefoil panels; C15 sub-arcuated 4-light windows; lead stackheads. Tower: 4 stages, replacing one over central crossing: offset corner buttresses to full height, double plinth, strinq courses with gargoyles to top course, battlemented parapets with quatrefoil panelled merlons, panelled and crocketted corner pinnacles; central weathervane; full height octangonal stair turret to north-west corner: moulded 4-centre arched west doorway flanked by pilasters set diagonally; 5-light west window with sub-arcuated tracery and cusped transom in hollow-chamfered recess under headstop rail - with doorway occupies 2 stages, blank to north and south; on north and south faces stage 3 are 2-light windows in recesses, and pairs of matching windows stage 4 all faces with panelled stone baffles, clockface on east side. Interior: much early work: chancel plain, unplastered walls and barrel vault ceiling: large rere-arch to east window; wide chancel arch with thin panelled jambs; standard C15/C16 arcades to side chapels. Nave: king-post truss roof of 1513, traceried panel infills, all members deeply moulded, quatrefoil panels of varying design to each bay, angel decoration to kingposts, central pendants mid-bay: arcades C16, but with traceried spandrils to arches up to clerestorey, with pilaster brackets over each column leading to canopied and side-panelled niches having C17 figure paintings; tower arch of 2 orders, outer panelled, and flanked on nave side by traceried panels and 2 tiers canopied niches, painted above, C20 figure statues below. Aisles and chapels have moulded rib ceilings, that to south-east chapel having bosses to panels, mostly C19. In south aisle a cinquefoil-cusped agee-arched piscina, and low tomb arch with rosette decoration containing worn female effigy, probably early C14; in north aisle, doors to rood loft. Fittings mostly C19, but C15 octagonal font with 2 cusped panels each face of bowl, with panelled underbowl and shaft: nicely detailed C19 octagonal stone pulpit; C20 Lady Chapel screen by F.Bligh Bond. Church first recorded 1156, but probably has Saxon origins. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Saunders GW, The Church of All Saints, Martock, 1967; VCH Vol III, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.