You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 422659  

Print Page



© Mr Edward Thomas

IoE Number: 422659
Location: CROSSRIGG HALL,
  BOLTON, EDEN, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Edward Thomas
Date Photographed: 18 July 2000
Date listed: 12 April 1984
Date of last amendment: 12 April 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 62 SWBOLTON5/154Crossrigg Hall

NY 62 SW BOLTON 5/154 Crossrigg Hall G.V. II* Large house designed c1864 by Anthony Salvin; additions and alterations by J.H. Martindale c1915 match the original style. Squared, snecked hammer-dressed rubble with string course and quoins on chamfered plinth. Original masonry of local pink sandstone, additions in yellower stone. Graduated slate roofs with dormers; gables have stone copings with ball finials to apex and kneelers. Corniced ashlar chimneys, some projecting; moulded cast-iron gutters. Asymmetrical plan, mostly 2 stories. Wing was added to north side with the embattled tower, dated 1915, built to conceal water-tank. Large mullioned and transomed stair window has segment-headed lights. Original carriage porch was re-used in 1916 with side arches widened. Canted bay window was added to west elevation, and full-height bay window on left of south elevation, c1915. Majority of windows are 2- or 3- light with moulded mullions and, in some cases, transoms. Some of the larger ground-floor windows have a wider central light which has a semicircular head springing from the same level as the transoms to the flanking lights. In 1915, the domestic wing adjoining the east end was enlarged; the original single storey buildings flanking the entrance to the small yard to its rear were for storage. Salvin's interior has been preserved and the original detailing has been matched where extensions made it necessary. The main 'Jacobean' stair was carved in 1915, but Salvin's original stair was re-used in the tower.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.